• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

identifying early 240 axle

adamdrives

I've looked around but most of what I've found applies to the later axles with the 1031/1041 sticker on them. My 78 has a sticker that says its a 3.91 with part number 1216079 and fabr (fabrication?) number 110241. It doesn't act like an open diff (can't spin just one wheel while holding the other on the lift) but I'm pretty sure I did a one wheel peel the other day. Does anyone have more info on identifying these early axles? I also have an 83 240 turbo with the same type of sticker that doesn't look like the later ones. Thanks

If it is in Park or in gear, you are not going to be able to spin one wheel while stopping the other. What happens when you turn one side and don’t restrain the other? Does it turn the opposite direction?

Pull the cover off if you want to see if it's anything but an open diff, I would bet it probably is though. The 3.91 out of the 80 GT I crushed was an earlier 1030 open diff.

^^

If it has the DANA clutch type posi in it there should be a special oil requirement tag on it. Very few cars from back then have the posi in them. It was a dealer added deal.

^^

If it has the DANA clutch type posi in it there should be a special oil requirement tag on it. Very few cars from back then have the posi in them. It was a dealer added deal.

Would the sticker be in any particular place? Haven't had my car at the shop this week to check.

It's not a sticker. It's a metal tag that's held on by one of the rear cover bolts.

AntiSpinTag384727.jpg

That’s what makes them easy to detect though. If they are the clutch type limited slip, the tires will always turn in the same direction when you rotate one, unless the clutches are shot or the differential is broken. With a locker, they behave like an open differential until they lock. They are much harder to detect without taking the cover off.

Back