• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

142s to b20f conversion

mjcerati

HI! I was wondering if any of you, more experienced wrenchers, knows if the 142s chassis's fuel piping is too different to use with an efi system.

I don't think it has a return line. You could add one, or just dead-head it from an electric fuel pump you'd add back by the tank somewhere.

If you're going to use D-Jet - you'd def need to add a return line.

Yeah - the fuel going up to the engine is in a dead-end system - no return line. Vs. the usual Bosch style of having fuel flowing through the fuel lines and returning to the tank at all times.

I tend to think that's (the return style) a better practice - because the fuel stays cooler in the lines around the engine (vs. it patiently waiting in the fuel rails until squirted into the engine), plus if run empty, it is probably better at clearing air. But some OEM's use dead-headed fuel systems (returnless).

So it's probably possible to use only the existing single fuel line with EFI, with modifications at the rear (electric fuel pump and FPR, non-manifold pressure referenced). But preferrable to add a second line, and use that and the original line as a supply/return, with the FPR located in the engine bay.

D-Jet did NOT use a manifold pressure referenced FPR, BTW. It was a 2-bar (30 -32 psi) regulator referencing ambient air pressure.

Last edited:
You need to have a return line unless you are going to modify or replace your gas tank to accept a returnless system.

Profile says '1972 142e'. Which would already have a return line on it.

Unless he's found something older to tinker with.

Adding a return line doesn't have to be too complicated. You could add a bulkhead fitting somewhere, like on the fuel gauge sender.

I was looking at the parts catalogs,comparing the diagrams.They look different to me. I'm basically looking to replicate fuel,electrical, and throttle control from efi cars. :rofl:

Yea too right on that one. There's a guy in Oakland with a good 72 145e but I know he's gonna wanna extract as much $ for it as possible,which I get-kinda. At this point I would trade my complete b20f for a B head, just to make life simpler. I digress.
Thanks for the help in this thread I started! Maybe I will have a useful development/info to post when I make some progress.

You can also skim down the F head for a few points of CR, plug the injector holes, and run twin dcoes and a header for all the burnouts.

I'm sorta trying to avoid machining heads but I appreciate it. Who knows maybe I will eventually do that if things go that way. I'll contact Don for the all elusive B head.

Back