• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New brick owner

RedlineDave

I'm a proud new member here with my new to me
88 245 auto

Got it a few days ago, gave it a good wash and started tinkering on small things.
Bulbs , oil change , inspecting TB etc

I think TB should be replaced and my motor mounts are mush.
Shocks are very soft too.

Can anyone recommend a good parts supplier in Canada, better yet GTA?

Future plans are a manual swap, lowering the car and wheels ( Crown Vic BBS style)

Looking forward to learning all about bricks

Welcome, are you referring to the throttle body? Its rare to have to replace one, a good cleaning and new gasket is usually what they need.

Try searching here or Brickboard.com to see what brands are favored. Some water pumps have stamped, sheet metal impellers while others have centrifugal turbine-like castings. One piece of advice on installation, press the pump up against the bottom of the head REALLY hard while tightening the mounting bolts. Even use a lever.

HEPU is the brand you want for the water pump.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-engine-water-pump-940-740-760-780-240-244-245
Not sure what the shipping and tax stuff is from US to CA.

Anyway, maybe you can find it locally via a Google search with the part number.
What I always do is to type in "Volvo" + followed by the part number (271975 in this case) and this usually yields more or less local results if you have location turned on on Google.

Brickboard / VOC 700/900 FAQ has very useful tips and procedures on countless topics if you're new to these cars.
As they share the same engine, most of the manuals regarding the engine also apply to 240's (like changing the timing belt etc.).
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FAQSummary1.html

FCPEuro and Rock Auto both carry Hepu pumps if I recall correctly. Another good affordable pump I've seen mentioned is Gates branded. Good local supply and price or online. I think Summit racing would carry it.

I got a gates or ac/Delco off Amazon I forget what one, I was looking at both for so long.
Is there a recommended brand for thermostats? I figured if I was changing the water pump may as well do the thermostat. Are they all the same? I've just learned there are square and round toothed timing belts. I hope I get lucky and I ordered the right one. 50/50 chance.

Got lucky today and sourced a manual swap 4 speed with o/d. Lots of work to do once I get all the parts. In the meantime I'm cleaning electrical connectors and grounds. Thing are coming back to life.

Got lucky today and sourced a manual swap 4 speed with o/d. Lots of work to do once I get all the parts. In the meantime I'm cleaning electrical connectors and grounds. Thing are coming back to life.

Out of curiosity, where in the GTA did you manage to find an M46?

If there's someone around that happens to have redblock-era parts that I'm not aware of, I'm a chump.

I got a gates or ac/Delco off Amazon I forget what one, I was looking at both for so long.
Is there a recommended brand for thermostats? I figured if I was changing the water pump may as well do the thermostat. Are they all the same? I've just learned there are square and round toothed timing belts. I hope I get lucky and I ordered the right one. 50/50 chance.

Here's a recent thread about thermostats: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=360446

88 should be a square tooth, as only the last year 240's (1993) came with round toothed belts.

Also what anti freeze do I use?
I got some at crappy tire, says recommend for Volvo.
Might be only modern cars though.

Any antifreeze will work fine in a B230. Most people I know use generic green although some people swear by Toyota red. Most Volvo stuff sold these days is formulated for their new cars with aluminium blocks.

BUT! Standard common sense applies:

Don't mix different types of antifreeze (different brands of the same type are OK). Mixing different types of antifreeze can cause weird reactions. Don't top up with anything other than more antifreeze or distilled water.

If you change types of antifreeze, or are unsure about the current contents of the system, drain the system, fill and flush with plain water a time or two to clear out residue, then fill with the new type.

Yup
I'll flush things out. Waiting on parts currently. The plan is do timing belt,water pump, thermostat and engine mounts then manual swap. Or should I do the engine mounts after manual swap. My thoughts are I can wiggle engine around more and it may make fitting the transmission easier.

Back