• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 Swap Gone Wrong

studmuffed

Hey all,

I recently did a T5 swap using a '93 WC T5 from a Mustang GT. I used the yoshifab kit and shimmed it as close as I could with the shims I got. It seemed fine at first, made noise, but I thought that was just the ****ty foxbody driveshaft I used.

After a few hundred miles it started to get really hard to put into gear, and 5th made more noise than other gears. This happened on the way to the dmv. I let it cool off and it seemed better for a second but then when I got off the highway it wasnt going into any gear and trying to move with the clutch out in neutral!

Something internal is really f'd up and I'm wondering if it could be my fault or just some bad facebook marketplace luck.

I'd really not like to go through this again

Now that you've vented, take it apart and have a look. :-P Let us know what you find and we will be happy to help.

They’re easy to pull apart. So this is what I’d do, pull it and start with tail housing and selector plate. I’d be looking at the shift rails/selector forks for the obvious stuck/broken/bent, then selector hubs and input shaft.

Now that you've vented, take it apart and have a look. :-P Let us know what you find and we will be happy to help.

Ok, I'll give it a try but won't really be sure what I'm looking at. Not familiar with trans internals at all. I did take it out of the car this evening and took a look at the input shaft, seemed normal to an untrained eye.

They?re easy to pull apart. So this is what I?d do, pull it and start with tail housing and selector plate. I?d be looking at the shift rails/selector forks for the obvious stuck/broken/bent, then selector hubs and input shaft.

Ok, thanks. I'll start pulling

Sounds like a combination of issues. Pilot bearing siezed, and selectors keeping in in a gear. Does it have an aftermarket shifter?

Yes, it has a PRO 5.0 shifter. Reached into the pilot bearing and it seemed to spin freely by hand

If it's ever been apart, it's pretty easy to mess up the shift keys/selector mechanism when installing the top plate. Or they could be bent/cracked.

Or the countershaft bearings are gone, and/or the thrust bearing on the input shaft it gone.

In for pics of carnage.

Before you pull the trans apart, try and run it through the gears by turning the input shaft and going through the gears. You'll be able to feel for bad bearings, and you can sort of feel what's going on with the shifting.
It gives you an idea of what you're getting into.

Last edited:
If it's ever been apart, it's pretty easy to mess up the shift keys/selector mechanism when installing the top plate. Or they could be bent/cracked.

It's really easy to mess this stuff up. IOW, sounds like you may have got a bad trans off the FB marketplace. Good luck!!

Back