• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

91 700/900 Power Mirror Operation Issues

lookforjoe

Making Volvo Parts Fit
300+ Club
Can't remember what to look for with this - mirrors operate properly L-R, but not up-down.

Wiring is all good - 91 740 is pre-wired, Mirrors came from a 97 V90, control with mirror switches, # 1362541 is appropriate for the year, according to the manuals.

Do the gears strip in the motor assembly?

EDIT - solution to using the late mirrors (with 2 drive motors & clip on glass) is to re-pin the switches as per the 93-diagram & use the 3545090 white base mirror switches.

Last edited:
Couple of years ago I replaced the mirror on my '93 and I had to change the position of 2 pins in the connector, so compare the plugs first.

Wiring is all good - 91 740 is pre-wired, Mirrors came from a 97 V90, control with mirror switches, # 1362541 is appropriate for the year, according to the manuals.
Did the mirrors just plug right in?
Any wires left over?

I've always found it odd how our mirrors work; a single motor with some kind of internal solenoid to switch the gears between left/right and up/down.

If the diagram is right, the Volvotips page for a 960 (called S/V90 starting in 1997) shows a mirror with two motors.

To me, it wouldn't seem to be compatible with a 1+solenoid switch. :e-shrug:

# 1362541 is appropriate for the year,

volvopartswebstorel says it fits 740/940/960 up to 1993. Maybe 1994 was the big changeover in mirror motor count?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The mirror harness matches pin for pin in terms of both wire color & position in the harness - that was the first thing I checked.

I haven't tried cleaning the switches - I can try that. I'll see if I can locate a second switch assembly for ****s & giggles.

I have a stash of 5-6 mirrors from various year 700/900 (wiring matches harness on all variants) & they all operate with the same error - so it does seem the switches maybe the issue. Seems unlikely that all the mirror motor gears would be bad...

Interesting, I have the same issue after putting a 1994 mirror into a 91. Switch worked fine before the transplant. Please post if you figure it out!

Swapping switches made no difference - I tried 4 others, all acted the same way. So, It has to be a difference in the wiring or a problem with the gear mechanisms getting stuck. I'll remove the glass & see what it looks like in there.

I'll update the thread with my findings

Are wire colors in plug at the same positions old vs. new?

At the switches or at the harness plug for the mirrors? The door wiring is all stock & untouched. '91 is prewired for mirrors, so everything's just plugin switches & mirrors.

The wiring colors & pinout location is the same from the door harness as for the mirror harnesses for all the ones I have access to.

Mirrors and switches all changed between '91 and '92 from one motor to two motors. I have all of the info in my page, but most of it's pertaining to 240. But I have lots of 740 switch info and diagrams - photos of the changes, etc in my page if needed.
https://www.240turbo.com/240-powermirrors.html
Dave B

Many thanks Dave.

I've been reviewing the 91 940 SE & 91 700 wiring manuals - that explains why I didn't catch the design change. I did get the schematic of yours for the late 240 setup from your website, however I can't find the section that contains just wiring diagrams for 92- 900. I have the Volvo wiring manual for the '93 960's I used to own, so I'll compare that. Looks like I just need to figure out which wires to re-arrange. I had already tried swapping one pair at the mirror harness to no avail, but I hadn't looked at a late diagram at the time.

So, I found a pair of later mirror harness sockets (where the switches plug in) and the sequence matches the later diagram (93) - so I de-pinned mine & rearranged to match. Still don't work as they should. I took the mirror apart & removed the motor assy, can't see anything wrong with the motor drives or terminal connectivity, etc. that would account for the lack of proper operation.

index.php

index.php

index.php

At this point, I think the switches for the later 2-motor housings must be a different internal switching configuration.

Going through the catalog, it's hard to determine as the number listed for 97-98 V90s (3545090) is the same (replacement) number listed for 91 740 (and 850s), which makes no sense.

index.php

Last edited:
OK - so I got two switch sets off an 850 - they have the 3545090 - can be identified by the white switch base vs. the black base of the earlier switch.

PXL-20210507-215443839.jpg

Not one of the 4 works in all 4 directions, however between the 4, each properly operates one axis - so 3545090 is the correct switch for the 2-motor mirror setup, along with repinning the switches as I have.

I've dismantled 2 of the switches to clean the contacts - before cleaning here

PXL-20210507-231714359.jpg

PXL-20210507-231305755.jpg

PXL-20210507-231308483.jpg

Comparison of early & late mirror switches - very different internal connections. Mirrors work as intended now.

PXL-20210508-130115378.jpg

The later switches have no grease - early ones did. I added electrical grease to the ones I cleaned up

PXL-20210508-124715737.jpg

Back