• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon/122 fuel tank cleaning/sealing

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Planning on having the very good local radiator shop go ahead and clean the fuel tank from my 220S. I asked about sealing it as well- any thoughts on doing that?

All in I'm looking at like $120 for cleaning and sealing. I know gasoline isn't a rust preventative, but don't want to have them seal it if the stuff is just gonna break down and clog filters in a year anyway.

I've also used the POR15 tank sealer with good results. In addition I've used the Eastwood version with good results. Make sure it's the alcohol resistant version so it won't breakdown from the alcohol in the fuel.

Planning on having the very good local radiator shop go ahead and clean the fuel tank from my 220S. I asked about sealing it as well- any thoughts on doing that?

All in I'm looking at like $120 for cleaning and sealing. I know gasoline isn't a rust preventative, but don't want to have them seal it if the stuff is just gonna break down and clog filters in a year anyway.

I say just give up on the project and sell it to me cheap

:cameron:

I have used this product more than once on rusted, pin holed gas tanks. It is easy to use and work great.

https://www.hirschauto.com/ALCOHOL-RESISTANT-GAS-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/GTS/QUART/

I was about to recommend it too. POR-15 will eventually come apart. The most important thing though is the prep. Bill Hirsch has a couple of recommended steps before the sealer is used and I think they matter more than anything.

I would get it boiled/cleaned and then do all 3 steps recommended by Hirsch Auto. Or, for what you're going to spend on all of this you might just grab a new tank from VP.

I was about to recommend it too. POR-15 will eventually come apart. The most important thing though is the prep. Bill Hirsch has a couple of recommended steps before the sealer is used and I think they matter more than anything.

I would get it boiled/cleaned and then do all 3 steps recommended by Hirsch Auto. Or, for what you're going to spend on all of this you might just grab a new tank from VP.

I'd buy a new tank if they weren't nearly $500.
The tank itself is in excellent condition, so I don't think the resealing will be a waste of effort vs. the $500 price tag of a new one that will also need sealing.

Back