• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mountainmeet 2021: The Return 9/22-9/26/2021 (Wednesday-Sunday)

Sorry to see you won't be there bud, we'll pour some out for you.

First couple shopping trips are done, most of the ancillary/nonperishable stuff has been bought at this point. The remaining trip will be on Tuesday to get THE MEATS.

The hardest thing to find thus far, oddly, has been the leg quarters. Finally caught the meat department at Ingles while they were putting them out. Got 16 quarters, about 20ish lb worth. Should be good.

Just eyeballing the BBQ situation, I think we're gonna pick up an extra butt or two. 45lb was way overkill in 2019 but I don't think 25 is gonna be near enough. 32-35 shoulb be about the sweet spot.

E74YHCIl.jpg

Special ordered the weather for y’all this week.

I do love how it's been 20 years of TB meets and the usual suspects are still wrenching on sh<z>itboxes at the last minute to go drinking.

Pfft, nobody brings Volvos to a Volvo meet any more.

Heh. The Miata is going to be so much fun on those mountain roads.

744 not gonna make it?

Unfortunately no. I haven't figured out my alternator/hood clearance issue yet. I refuse to shim or cut the hood. As a result, my options are few. I'm heading to our Custom Electric guy on my lunch to see if any smaller Denso units will work without too much modification.
I spent quite a bit of time searching for dimensions and photos of the different cases, but to no avail.

Unfortunately no. I haven't figured out my alternator/hood clearance issue yet. I refuse to shim or cut the hood. As a result, my options are few. I'm heading to our Custom Electric guy on my lunch to see if any smaller Denso units will work without too much modification.
I spent quite a bit of time searching for dimensions and photos of the different cases, but to no avail.

See Brett for some interestingly shaped hood cutout ideas...

This is the way.

ROFL

Totally psyched up for this... was all set to go the last two times and bailed a couple days before... Just put in for the days off. Got to get a warmer sleeping bag.

Taking a 1/2 on Thursday and going half of the 700 miles... then finishing the trip on Friday morning. Taking 81 most of the way down.

I'm bringing the telescope. Not sure where the moon will be this weekend, but the potentially dark skies is alluring.

Can't wait to see everyone!

ROFL

Totally psyched up for this... was all set to go the last two times and bailed a couple days before... Just put in for the days off. Got to get a warmer sleeping bag.

Taking a 1/2 on Thursday and going half of the 700 miles... then finishing the trip on Friday morning. Taking 81 most of the way down.

I'm bringing the telescope. Not sure where the moon will be this weekend, but the potentially dark skies is alluring.

Can't wait to see everyone!

I'm always amazed how many stars you can see in the night sky up there.

Bringing the cameras too... hoping to get some long exposure shots with star trails... hopefully it's calm and the star trails will reflect off the water. I should get a gopro mount for the car.

I do love how it's been 20 years of TB meets and the usual suspects are still wrenching on sh<z>itboxes at the last minute to go drinking.
We're getting close....I think it's happening.

Diagnosed 2yr ago at mtnmeet, play at the inner tie rod. I forget which side we felt it on, but whatever, it was there.

Months/year later, had it up on the lift at Bne's shop, found a wobbly ball joint, replaced it. Then started on inner tierod removal. Got the first one off, it felt snug. Oh. It's the rack, not the inner tie rods. Well slap it back together and look for another one. Not so easy, but I did track down a decently priced old-stock reman'd ZF power rack that I bought during 5% ebay bucks.

Here's the CAM rack a couple days ago:

171977378.jpg

Junk rack all cleared out. Free if anyone wants it at mtn meet. Needs rebuildin. CAM type, not original, looked rebuilt when I pulled it from a junkyard car, an '86 if I recall correctly.
171977379.jpg

Status as of Sunday morning.

171977380.jpg

Spent most of yesterday slammin the ZF power rack off the '87 back into the '92. I pulled it complete, pump & lines still connected, hoping to drop it in as-is, but realized the AC line on the '92 was kinda in the way, so I left the lines attached to the 'new' rack and installed it, then put the pump back in, and hooked up the lines to the pump. Should have just left the pump on the car to begin with.

The splined steering shaft into the u-joint is always a hassle. But it's bolted up, steering wheel centered, toe set to about 1/8" toe-in. Installed new boots on the rack. Both sides had grease around the inner tie rod pivot, and no sign of fluid, so that was a good sign.

28mm front bar from the '87 is on the '92 now, but I noticed the lower endlink bushings were brittle and crushing/disintegrating, so I get to swap those out next. And one of the bolts wouldn't start for the U-bracket so I need to dig up a tap & die set to try and fix that too (3 out of 4 installed)

Oh, and the driver side rear wheel is stuck to the hub, so I've failed at rotating tires on one side of the car. Fine, be that way.

This is at least the 4th time I've installed a rack on a 240. It never gets to be any fun.

Still on the list:
swapping in the rear shocks from the '87, they are revalved bilstein HDs. '92 currently has one stock Bil HD and one Koni Yellow Sport, because one of the Koni's failed and leaked oil.

If I get brave, I may bleed the brakes. I know it's been more than 2yr, so it's due.

If anyone needs anything off an '87 244......thar she be. Make your requests. I'll try to put together a parts list of spares & stuff I have available in case anyone's interested.

Probably rolling out Thursday morning, but nothing set in stone just yet.

Picked up a nice new to me tent off FB marketplace last night, ready to party and do some hoodrat car stuff with my hoodrat car friends!

I fixed a clunk on the Miata I've been hearing lately. Turned out to be a poly rear sway bar bushing has slipped out of place. No more clunk.

If I get rained out of having fun on Deals Gap/Tail o'the Dragon on the way down Wed, I'll just go run it on Thursday.

*snip*

If anyone needs anything off an '87 244......thar she be. Make your requests. I'll try to put together a parts list of spares & stuff I have available in case anyone's interested.

Probably rolling out Thursday morning, but nothing set in stone just yet.

Awesome, call the lodge if you need anything. I also went through the steering rack shuffle the other day. It's a little less of a hassle if stuff is clean and degreased, but it never is.

I'd be interested in the roof rack unless you're keeping it, and I could also use the plastic lower front door sill trim for both sides if it's black. Also, QSRCs?

We'll look for you at 3am on Friday morning.

Picked up a nice new to me tent off FB marketplace last night, ready to party and do some hoodrat car stuff with my hoodrat car friends!

:hyper:

I fixed a clunk on the Miata I've been hearing lately. Turned out to be a poly rear sway bar bushing has slipped out of place. No more clunk.

If I get rained out of having fun on Deals Gap/Tail o'the Dragon on the way down Wed, I'll just go run it on Thursday.

Nice. Glad you're coming Wednesday.

Back