• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

coolant oil over-pressurized at 9psi

h20ham

not sure what happened, as I don't floor it that often. Glad it happened a few blocks away at the bottom of a hill, red low coolant warning light didn't illuminate till 1/2 way up.
The front or block vent side of the flame trap blew its top, as did the rear right freeze plug (I can't recall the exact size) though I should have both flame and plugs on the shelf.

Any comments where this pressure would come from, bov is holding steady.

The engine is a newer old stock 1993 Volvo crate, with only 30,000 miles

My dip stick hasn't been popping up, there has been no signs of anything in the coolant. Hope the head is okay

vx & chip, stock otherwise

Last edited:
So a freeze plug on the block popped out and drained the coolant, and at the same time the flame trap? Turbo cars usually don't have flame traps, do you mean the oil separator/breather box (the big black plastic box bolted to the block underneath the intake)?

I'd do a compression check, see if any cylinders are reading low.

A coordinated blow out of those two things certainly seems to say 'head gasket'.

Fluids don't always mix when a HG goes.

Possibly, depending on what you're trying to do.

One good thing a stock HG does is blow out under duress, instead of something else breaking. Assuming there's some tuning issue that's causing too much stress on the motor (i.e. detonation).

Back