• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice needed; should I port match my newly modified (T3) 90+ exhaust manifold?

VolvoGuy123

Iron Man.
So I recently sent out one of my exhaust manifolds to be (crack) repaired, m10 studs, milled (flat) and cut to (standard) T3 dimensions (for the outlet)

Now, I will be mounting a td06h-20G (R34 T3 flanged) turbo to it (and in my car ofcourse) but I noticed the T3 inlet on the new turbo is bigger than the (standard) T3 opening on my newly modified exhaust manifold.

Will port matching it (the exhaust manifold) to the (td06) gasket be worth it? Or is it fine the way it is?

*see photos*

Thank you TB.COM for any and all your infinite wisdom! :)

Attachments

• 20211030_213153.jpg
    20211030_213153.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20211030-221526_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-221526_Gallery.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20211027_215815.jpg
    20211027_215815.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 119
I think the work vs the gains would say to use your time and energy somewhere else. I would gasket match the head to the manifold, or at least check it.

If you really want to spend time or money on it, get it ceramic coated.

i would port match the gasket in the first pics then call it good. I once port match basically everything with no change. Alot of work for nothing. Culberro will tell you what and where to work on. He knows his stuff.

Id try to make the exhaust outlet match the turbine housing inlet, if the gasket matches then its good guide. if its oversized, don't use it as a guide.

It shouldn't take more than an hour or two with the right carbide cutting burrs and a die grinder.

It would be a good idea to verify that the manifold is actually opened up to the t3 flange size, plenty of places online list the dimensions.

I wouldn’t go beyond the standard t3 size just to match your current turbo (what if you change to a different t3 turbo that’s slightly smaller on the inlet?). Going from a small hole to a larger one is ok for flow, large hole to smaller one is a lot worse.

I think the work vs the gains would say to use your time and energy somewhere else. I would gasket match the head to the manifold, or at least check it.

If you really want to spend time or money on it, get it ceramic coated.

i would port match the gasket in the first pics then call it good. I once port match basically everything with no change. Alot of work for nothing. Culberro will tell you what and where to work on. He knows his stuff.

Id try to make the exhaust outlet match the turbine housing inlet, if the gasket matches then its good guide. if its oversized, don't use it as a guide.

It shouldn't take more than an hour or two with the right carbide cutting burrs and a die grinder.

It would be a good idea to verify that the manifold is actually opened up to the t3 flange size, plenty of places online list the dimensions.

I wouldn?t go beyond the standard t3 size just to match your current turbo (what if you change to a different t3 turbo that?s slightly smaller on the inlet?). Going from a small hole to a larger one is ok for flow, large hole to smaller one is a lot worse.

Thank you everyone so far for all your input! I appreciate it.

As far as the manifold, it is now the standard T3 size (but probably the T3 standard size that Volvo used for the pre-90 manifolds) I think the newer (or performance oriented units) use a slightly larger T3 standard maybe. Idk?

Either way I will be matching it to the turbos inlet flange opening. It just feels right. lol. Maybe little gain but less heat build up and piece of mind atleast.

I wouldn?t go beyond the standard t3 size just to match your current turbo (what if you change to a different t3 turbo that?s slightly smaller on the inlet?). Going from a small hole to a larger one is ok for flow, large hole to smaller one is a lot worse.

Although this is a good point, so I will double check. But I had Josh do it (at Yoshifab) so I trust his work. He said he made it to "standard t3 dimensions." Because ofcourse I asked him first but he wasn't about to tell me to alter his work, I'm pretty sure. lol.

I did do the porting work on my first manifold which is on the car now (with my 20T) as a place holder. It did take a few nights after work of using a few different bits and a cheap electric rotary tool. *see pics* it came out OK but my OCD said, next one is on Josh because I NEED perfect symmetries! lol. I love how that mill and cnc cut is so perfect that he does!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-213402_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-213402_Gallery.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20211031-213331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-213331_Gallery.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Back