• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 instrument cluster repair (and, likely, fuel level sender)

Also, I was able to get my odometer repaired. Turns out, the 'ancient grease' had in fact dried up causing one of the gears to completely seize

Pretty much what actually happened to mine.

I was threatening to post a bunch of pics as I took mine apart to investigate (In August). Never got around to it, but here's one (two?) of the pics, with the red arrow pointing at my 50% seized gear. Only looks nice because I previously cleaned and oiled it. Didn't help.

The "new one" from the 89 is in much better condition, half the mileage, and no binding. :)

Old-Odo.jpg

I used isopropyl alcohol. Helped dissolve the grease.

Not sure if it would have worked without removing the gear, but I did take them out, clean it and the shaft thoroughly, lubricate it, etc.

Q-tips were also super helpful.

I suppose, if I were to do it all again, I would remove everything but the stuck gears and leave the assembly to soak in alcohol. Curious if that would free them up, able to lube them properly afterwards.

I just used fuel hose from the auto parts store. Think it's rated for 50psi. It will do. In fact, when I removed the old hose, I discovered I could practically break it apart with an acute bend. That tells me there wasn't too much pressure on that hose -- otherwise it would have blown up prior to now.

Make sure the new hose is Ethanol compliant too.

Back