• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

I don't hate this. Considerably less gaudy than most other newer head units I've seen.

s-l500.jpg

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me dawg.

And that's why I hate single DINs

I don't hate this. Considerably less gaudy than most other newer head units I've seen.

s-l500.jpg

Not too bad. I was tempted to just hide the stupid thing out of sight for a while.

This is what I have. It's actually not that intrusive (the lighting is RGB so you can configure it to be a not ****ty color) and has 6 channels of 4v preamps: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x998/https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x998/

My OCD always gets a little triggered with 99% of the 1DIN units available these days because they all have that glossy black faceplate that looks meh in any older dash (in my opinion). I like the Continental units if you want to keep it basic audio system wise, that Blaupunkt one is the dream for me. One day I'll get one..

My OCD always gets a little triggered with 99% of the 1DIN units available these days because they all have that glossy black faceplate that looks meh in any older dash (in my opinion). I like the Continental units if you want to keep it basic audio system wise, that Blaupunkt one is the dream for me. One day I'll get one..

The Blaupunkt can only drive 4 channels and costs a ****load.

I really like my continental aesthetically but the buttons don't light up and it doesn't autoplay. (It auto connects to my phone but I have to push play. Might be my phone idk.)

719vSsxAqHL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Edit: the buttons light up when you wire it in properly. Who knew.

Last edited:

Not overly gaudy. Does require an adapter for BT, but has front, rear, and subwoofer preouts. Still has a CD mechanism, and the ability of controlling a CD changer, if desired. The Alpine CDA-105. Most I've paid for one has been about $75 off the 'bay.

Finally got around to improving the radiator bracket situation. Took some measurements and bought our metal shop manager a sixer. He punched out a couple parts and bent them up for me. Another friend did the welding since it’s so visible. Pretty happy with the outcome, the radiator is solid now.

If I were to do it over again, I’d make the C channel a bit wider and line it with some rubber, but whatever.

KNtK4Q6h.jpg

You could add some rubber standoffs on the core support and still have some isolation without compromising the clean look of the bracket. Would still inspect that radiator often for abrasion though.

Kinda weird having a project car that just works (well, except for not having heat...should probably prioritize that).

I also need to get busy and build a torque mount/limiter thing. With my motor so low in the bay, it contacts the steering shaft in right turns and can range from slightly annoying to pucker inducing. I have an idea for it.

Thought about raising the motor up, but meh. That's kindof a whole thing, why not bandaid it?

Might be easy enough to slide the rack over a little, and readjust the tie rod ends accordingly. Probably have enough adjustment to move it over a inch (?). Which might give you a half an inch at the header.

I slid my whole drivetrain forward a bit which helped with other things (Fox body turbo headers, CD009 shifter location) but also helped with header clearance.

I put an extra joint in my steering shaft and supported both segments with some 3/4? Rod ends welded to the frame- just clears the exhaust.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the same STS steering shaft. There's only about 1/16" of clearance between it and the header though. If my limiter idea doesn't work, I'll scooch the rack over a bit.

Yeah, I have the same STS steering shaft. There's only about 1/16" of clearance between it and the header though. If my limiter idea doesn't work, I'll scooch the rack over a bit.

I think you need solid engine mounts. Then the engine can't lean over :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back