• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Get Out of Its Own Way V.2

Something I’ve been wanting to do but was having a good time building
a fun B230 Volvo that would get out of its own way is to put a cammed V8 into
my first car. I got this car back in high school in 1997. It wasn’t until I retired it as my daily driver back in 2010 I really started toying with the car. Fast forward 11 years and after going from a 18.6 to 12.9 Quarter mile it’s time to replace the Redblock with a LQ4 6.0, Gt45 and 4L80E.

Glad to see you here! If you want you can go check out my thread a few lines down under Andrewhans.

I will 100% suggest you lose the GT45 turbo. They are super outdated and even if given one for free I wouldn't run it.

Grab a 7875 of nearly ANY generation and it will way out perform the GT45.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning about posting! I’ll probably change the setup many times in the future. Gt45 will be a good starter turbo and pretty affordable. I changed the turbo 4 times on B230 through the years. Part of it was just out of curiosity how they will perform. I’ll look into a 7875 in the future. Btw your car is very impressive!

The motor is now ready for installation. I’ve added 50Lb injectors, purchased a Holley Terminator Max , installed the correct push rod into the motor. Torqued everything to spec. I will be removing some items when I goto drop the motor in but first I will be removing the B230FT and Aw72L from the car which I will start working on soon.

Thanks for mentioning about posting! I’ll probably change the setup many times in the future. Gt45 will be a good starter turbo and pretty affordable. I changed the turbo 4 times on B230 through the years. Part of it was just out of curiosity how they will perform. I’ll look into a 7875 in the future. Btw your car is very impressive!

Ahh I didn't know you already bought it. While you're fabbing your hotside design it to eventually swap in a better turbo. The 7875's are pretty much all smaller(physically) than the gt45. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix the downpipe once you get to that point.

Thanks!

Shooting for 8's this year with the addition of the billet 80mm, a transbrake powerglide and an 8.50 cert'd cage.

Ahh I didn't know you already bought it. While you're fabbing your hotside design it to eventually swap in a better turbo. The 7875's are pretty much all smaller(physically) than the gt45. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix the downpipe once you get to that point.

Thanks!

Shooting for 8's this year with the addition of the billet 80mm, a transbrake powerglide and an 8.50 cert'd cage.

Just crazy that 8 second 1/4 and Volvo is a possibility. I wish you luck getting that time slip. There is a good chance that even with my setup I may see a 10 second 1/4 mile someday. Maybe even before my 03 Cobra in the photo above,haha.

10's are a joke in these cars with a boosted V8. Even with the GT45 its doable. If it dyno's anything near 550whp and you leave off idle with a 235 drag radial you will run a 10.

These cars are REALLY good for drag racing. 8.8 swap, LSD and a drag radial will let it really move out

Last edited:
10's are a joke in these cars with a boosted V8. Even with the GT45 its doable. If it dyno's anything near 550whp and you leave off idle with a 235 drag radial you will run a 10.

I?m probably going run about 7 psi on pump gas first. Probably will have to goto larger than 340LPH pump if I go E85. I?ll probably swap in my Volvos 80lb injectors when it becomes time. Just taking small steps until I get the kinks out.

If you haven't bought the pump yet just go straight to the walbro 450 and deka 80's. Helps you from having to redo things later on. Depending on your end goals you will very likely need more injector and pump than a 450/deka 80 can deliver on e85. They run out pretty early imo.

Gonna be a really fun setup. Low 11's will likely be where you land at wastegate pressure on pump gas.

If you haven't bought the pump yet just go straight to the walbro 450 and deka 80's. Helps you from having to redo things later on. Depending on your end goals you will very likely need more injector and pump than a 450/deka 80 can deliver on e85. They run out pretty early imo.

Gonna be a really fun setup. Low 11's will likely be where you land at wastegate pressure on pump gas.

I have a 340LPH pump installed when I did the B230 Turbo Upgrade. I got a set of 8 50LB injectors as Christmas gift for LS swap and will be fine with 550-600whp on pump gas or Race gas. As soon as I go E85 I would upgrade the injectors and sell what I have.
What base pressure are you running on your car?

When I had the factory truck regulator it was around 58psi. That was the single 450 ran at 18v over 4psi and deka 80's.

Now I have a PQY regulator(43psi base), Bosch 210's, the same old 450 in the tank and two AEM 400's sumped off the bottom of the tank. All 3 run when over 5psi of boost.

I spent couple hours on the car tonight. Removed the antifreeze, power steering fluid, unbolted the torque converter, disconnected fuel lines and removed some turbo piping. I’ll probably pull the motor Thursday night. The 90 dollar T3/4 turbo is still in great shape after two years of up to 35psi of boost.

Back