• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 OE rear trailing arm bushings seem to be scarce

Nothing for the rear but poly or aftermarket from IPD.

I've had a lot of bad luck with aftermarket rubber. Seems to start cracking within a few months. Seals, bushings, hoses. All of it is a crap shoot as to whether it will hold up.

Poly in that spot just caused horrible wheel hop for me. Didn't even bother salvaging them when I parted out the car.

Maybe BNE needs to step up production on their spherical bearing housings.

The bitch bushing on the rear axle at the end of the trailing arm. I ordered genuine Volvo for the front.

My only concern, which might be unfounded, is that on a stock spring stock damper street car the spherical bearings might
allow for too much articulation. While that might still well equal better traction, more body lean feels lame for just puttering around
town and such in a stock car, even if ultimate traction in corners is increased(that I'm probly never going to use).
It is severely annoying that I can't just buy good rubber ones.

I've read a bunch of reviews of Ben's and they are all positive, but they are from people with modified cars and/or people driving pretty hard.

The bitch bushing on the rear axle at the end of the trailing arm. I ordered genuine Volvo for the front.

My only concern, which might be unfounded, is that on a stock spring stock damper street car the spherical bearings might
allow for too much articulation. While that might still well equal better traction, more body lean feels lame for just puttering around
town and such in a stock car, even if ultimate traction in corners is increased(that I'm probly never going to use).
It is severely annoying that I can't just buy good rubber ones.

I've read a bunch of reviews of Ben's and they are all positive, but they are from people with modified cars and/or people driving pretty hard.

Do you run a sway bar? If so then you wont have *too* much articulation. Beyond the fact that you cant really have too much articulation when it comes to a solid axle rear end. Are you worried that the extra grip and stability is going to promote body roll?

The bigger the rear sway bar the less grip you will have. that will fix your body lean issues... and create all types of other issues. :-P

Stock rear 93 bar, I'll get IPD sways for it eventually.
I know it sounds stupid, but I'm old and haul kids and groceries around, I'd rather have less ultimate
grip (which will still be more than I need) and the body not roll all over the place.

I don't seem to have much choice either way though if I want something long lasting.

I run a 1" rear bar on the V8 wagon with a stock front bar, got it from IPD in '89, had to be made custom for the dual exhaust, they make all of them that way now. That made the biggest improvement in the ride and handling. In 2008 I changed the rear to a 3.31 got the bushings for the trailing arms to the axle on the rear from NAPA they are still fine. Of course today you don't know how good the parts are. The wagons and the sedans handle different. I finished restoring my 1961 MG Midget Jan 2021, the new clutch release bearing lasted 15 miles, had to pull the motor to change it for a NOS one and a new P/P. You pays your money and you take your chances.

Just get the meyle ones. If they last 5 years, you still come out on top. With the bushing tool, it doesn't take long to change them.

Back