home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #226
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

I'm back and now with more traction, or lack there of depending on how you use the combination of the three pedals available to you

Limited slip differential installed, check.

1966 Outlaw Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #227
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

New "stereo" install and some beauty shots over the past few weeks.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #228
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Very cool luggage stereo, what kind of tweeters and woofers?

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:57 AM   #229
Coupid
Board Member

Look great as usual. Wait, this was at the SLOrolling rally? I’m just now putting it together it together that I saw this car, met you and watched David Bello’s video of his drive. How’s the LSD?
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #230
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Very cool luggage stereo, what kind of tweeters and woofers?
It's super cool, lucked out that it sorta matches my interior. I actually won it in a promotional raffle. No brands visible but assuming that because it was a raffle donation that it wasn't anything too special. Works and sounds well for what it is, perfect solution for not wanting a permanent stereo installed in the car and I can take it and use it anywhere, in fact we just used it the other night for an outdoor family movie night.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #231
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Look great as usual. Wait, this was at the SLOrolling rally? Iím just now putting it together it together that I saw this car, met you and watched David Belloís video of his drive. Howís the LSD?
Thanks! No way! We should start wearing our forum handles on badges What were you driving that day? That was great fun swapping cars with David. His car is so lovely, it's the perfect ying to my yang so to speak. The LSD is so far amazing, no more inside wheel spin on hard cornering but now I could use a little more horsepower (or narrower tires) to make it naughty
Old 10-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #232
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Thanks! No way! We should start wearing our forum handles on badges What were you driving that day? That was great fun swapping cars with David. His car is so lovely, it's the perfect ying to my yang so to speak. The LSD is so far amazing, no more inside wheel spin on hard cornering but now I could use a little more horsepower (or narrower tires) to make it naughty

I drove our blue 740T wagon and met the group at Bob's. It was my daughter's first Volvo event so I figured we'd limit the time spent away from the house since at 14 months old she doesn't have a huge attention span yet lol.
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #233
vwbusman66
StŲŖelstange Łber alles

Now having watched the video, this car is fantastic.
For those who want to see this car in action:
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #234
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Now having watched the video, this car is fantastic.
For those who want to see this car in action:...
Thanks for the plug, my buddy David had a little fun driving it around the other week
Old 11-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #235
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Haven't had too many updates over the past month. Spent most of the time chasing down a mysterious misfire issue (YES AGAIN) so it has been parked and again it turned out to be fuel related. After driving a short distance cold or right away after being warm (but not at all very consistent) the car would choke and misfire like it was loosing a fuel pump. Well I'll save you the long story of diagnosing everything under the sun. Turns out it was my Redline fuel pressure regulator that was plumbed in (with an electric pump in mind down the road) with the factory mechanical pump. The mechanical pump is sufficient to supply the dual Webers in a street car so I just deleted it for the time being. Not sure why it became an issue all of a sudden as it's been on the car for a year now but there you have it. I do notice a change in engine response though so now I wonder if I need to tweak my jetting a little as I may have been compensating for a lean condition.

Not much planned at the moment, I just need to finish wiring up the driving and fog lights so that I can enjoy driving it at night now. The H4 conversions aren't really that impressive, in fact I drive with the high beams on just to match light output of my modern cars H7 output. I keep debating if I want to add a brake booster as well but the aftermarket ad on boosters for single circuit systems seem to be hit or miss from what I can tell and I don't want to go to all the effort of drilling my inner fenders and making brackets if it's not going to be a significant improvement.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone if I'm not back in the meantime, hopefully you all are able to still have some meaningful family interaction.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #236
Jack
junkman

interesting about the lights. I have no issues running my Indian h4 lenses and rock guards without high beams on.
http://turbobricks.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=56
I do a lot of night driving in this thing on empty country roads too.

Did you clean your connectors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #237
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
interesting about the lights. I have no issues running my Indian h4 lenses and rock guards without high beams on.
http://turbobricks.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=56
I do a lot of night driving in this thing on empty country roads too.

Did you clean your connectors ?
New pigtails and cleaned my grounds. Honestly could probably aim them a little better. I'm just jaded with all the late model cars I drive with high output, this time of year always comes as a shock to me when I start driving in the dark everyday. Even my 2004 Golf lights feel weak compared to the latest and greatest from the past 10 years. My morning commutes consist of pretty thick coastal fog so I'd at least like to get the yellows wired up. Lots of time off in the next few days so I'll see what I can accomplish.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #238
Jack
junkman

You might be getting a lot of glare especially if your windshield is original

But I agree new headlights are horrible for people in front of them

Last edited by Jack; 11-24-2020 at 08:06 PM..
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:11 AM   #239
142 guy
Board Member

With the headlights on, check the voltage at the bulbs. The Amazon headlight wiring arrangement is marginal. Supplying the headlights through dedicated fuses and relays from the Battery + terminal or an add in distribution point can make a significant difference. Light output for an incandescent bulb is at least proportional to the square of the voltage (the lamp rerating document on Wikipedia indicates the exponent is more like 3.5). If your alternator is running 13.8 - 14 volts and you are only getting 12 volts at the light bulbs because of voltage drop through the wiring you are getting a minimum 30% reduction in illumination.

Which lenses did you purchase? Hella and Cibie make excellent 7" H4s with good patterns. The off brands - not so good; but, they look trick.
142 guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #240
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 guy View Post
With the headlights on, check the voltage at the bulbs. The Amazon headlight wiring arrangement is marginal. Supplying the headlights through dedicated fuses and relays from the Battery + terminal or an add in distribution point can make a significant difference. Light output for an incandescent bulb is at least proportional to the square of the voltage (the lamp rerating document on Wikipedia indicates the exponent is more like 3.5). If your alternator is running 13.8 - 14 volts and you are only getting 12 volts at the light bulbs because of voltage drop through the wiring you are getting a minimum 30% reduction in illumination.

Which lenses did you purchase? Hella and Cibie make excellent 7" H4s with good patterns. The off brands - not so good; but, they look trick.
I'll take a reading at the bulbs the next time I'm in there to verify. I have the Hella H4 conversion units. I never realized that such a small drop in voltage decreased output so much. My mesh stone guards probably don't help my situation either.

At least the driving lights should be in good working order by the end of the week, if those don't blast the sun on the road I don't know what will

As you can see in the picture I've added a remote + battery lug near the fuse box (a BMW part) as well as a secondary accessory fuse box on the pedal box. Additional relays can be seen to the far right. I've done my best to not interrupt the factory wiring and keep everything as add-ons. I've also been conscious of keeping all the wiring to the driver side of the engine bay. Even the alternator harness is wrapped in high heat aero space wrap and remotely clamped along the coolant transfer tube under the intake manifolds.

Last edited by R32RennSport; 12-01-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #241
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

First class.

@PDXvolvo on IG
B21FT with a T3/T4, STS coil-overs, T5 trans.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #242
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

Nice car, nice wiring! I agree with 142 guy about voltage drop and have had excellent results on 2 different cars by adding a couple of relays and heavy-gauge cable, no cutting required.

Daniel Stern (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html) has a lot of good tech info and prepared harnesses, or you can DIY.

Run new, fused 8-10ga wires to the relays and then on to the headlights via new connectors. Tap the existing headlight connector for power to switch the relays on and voila. Easily done, easily reversed.
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #243
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyGarcia View Post
Nice car, nice wiring! I agree with 142 guy about voltage drop and have had excellent results on 2 different cars by adding a couple of relays and heavy-gauge cable, no cutting required.

Daniel Stern (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html) has a lot of good tech info and prepared harnesses, or you can DIY.

Run new, fused 8-10ga wires to the relays and then on to the headlights via new connectors. Tap the existing headlight connector for power to switch the relays on and voila. Easily done, easily reversed.
Thanks for the advice guys. Relaying the headlights is something I've contemplated and after reading through this definitely doesn't seem difficult or detrimental to the cars original layout. Direct power to the lights while taking load off the light switch seems like a win win with only modest additional wiring.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #244
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Well, the driving lights are up and running. I also wired up some indicator lights on my add on switch panel and moved my overdrive indicator light to the dash. Drilling into the never modified dash board was a moment of commitment.

Unfortunately, my mysterious misfire issue has cropped up again after I thought I had resolved it with removing a fuel regulator. My suspicion now is a failing poor quality mechanical pump of which has only giving me issues since installing it. I think it's time to install an electric one back at the tank (with a safety relay harness) and be done with it. I hear the ones for early carb'ed Porsche 911s are reliable and great choice as they are rated for 2.9 psi and therefore require no regulation. I know the Carter pumps are good to but a little on the noisy side.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #245
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

So clean! Looks great!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #246
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

A pictures I snapped on Friday before and after work. Then A few pictures from a social distance club drive on Saturday which as you can tell was Amazon heavy, I cropped out the 240s, my apologies.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #247
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

I took some time last night for a small but much needed project, to clean and polish up my tail light lenses. They were pretty grungy inside since I last had them off 5 years ago for seals. I lined the dividers with foil tape. I cleaned the inside of the bezel rings and added foil tape to those as well. I debated just polishing out the reflectors but after giving it a go with one side I decided to just foil tape those as well, we'll see how they hold up. I also cleaned all the contacts and added protective paste to them. I wish I had taken before and after pictures but the difference is quite a amazing. The lights are much brighter and the color is vibrant. There are even noticeably different with the lights off as the insides are extremely reflective now and reflect even ambient light. Took about and hour a side but I highly recommend taking the time for better safety!
Old 12-25-2020, 04:21 AM   #248
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Making some progress in multiple areas. Did some metal work and paint on the early nose piece and got that assembled and mocked up on the car... now I think I'll have to blend into the fenders because the new paint looks so nice, oops.

Something about this picture just speaks to my soul. Iím just now catching up on your build thread and itís amazing. Itís funny, I first saw your car on David Belloís video of SLORolling. Then I saw from Rust to Rally, before finding your thread here. So cool, msn! Iím hoping to make it to SLO next year in my Amazon. You and many others here inspire me. When I saw your Luggage radio on Davidís video I immediately started searching for one, lol. (Havenít got one yet, but one day).

Awesome work, dude!
wtarkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #249
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtarkington View Post
Something about this picture just speaks to my soul. Iím just now catching up on your build thread and itís amazing. Itís funny, I first saw your car on David Belloís video of SLORolling. Then I saw from Rust to Rally, before finding your thread here. So cool, msn! Iím hoping to make it to SLO next year in my Amazon. You and many others here inspire me. When I saw your Luggage radio on Davidís video I immediately started searching for one, lol. (Havenít got one yet, but one day).

Awesome work, dude!
Thanks for the kind words! Glad my progress has inspired, hopefully we all inspire each other!

The luggage is pretty awesome, very well made and works great, an overall perfect solution for an old car when you don't want to fiddle with installing something. I lucked out and won it in a raffle on Instagram from the maker Loud Luggage. They are pretty pricey though.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #250
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Putting those lights to work on a foggy morning this week!