home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #801
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Why do you need an actual input for timing? I'd just let the sensor hang out in the engine bay and flatten out any ECT spark correction curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #802
Broke4speed
Board Member

Yep, that's the plan. I only want to see the numbers, not have them affect anything. All the corrections are already flattened out.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #803
Broke4speed
Board Member

I was playing with the Solex 44PA1 carbs that came with the AQ171C and noticed that the throttle blade throat separates completely from the fuelly parts...leaving a nice little throttle body. Trying out a dual TB setup is now a possibility, lol. I'd need to weld some injector bungs to the carb manifold...but it would work just fine.

Some F11 emulsion tubes should show up on monday, which MIGHT be exactly what I need. I've got F15s and F16s, and the 11s are identical to the 15s but have a few extra drillings at just the right spot that might lean out my 100kph cruise to proper levels. The 2.5 benefitted from a 60F8 idle jet, and is an acceptable AFR at 80kph, but it gets a bit too expensive (rich) at 100 since the mains are kicking in.

Last edited by Broke4speed; 06-16-2022 at 02:01 PM..
Broke4speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #804
Broke4speed
Board Member

Ugh. The F11s didn't work. It cruises fine at 80kph (smaller hwys, etc) but is in the 12s-13s at 100kph (larger hwys). I live in a rural area so use the large hwy for at least half of my drive into the city so this isn't really sustainable if gas is at $2/L right now (~$8 CAD/gal).

I'm pretty close to having all the parts I need to do the LS swap so I am wondering if I should even pursue the 'perfect' DCOE tune anymore. It starts easy, runs well, makes all the right giggle-inducing noises, but is rich at 100kph. I'm going to make a set of 220 airs for the main stack to see if that helps at all, but I might just try to live with 'good enough' for the rest of the summer.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #805
Broke4speed
Board Member

Well damn. I accidentally made some 230s and decided to try them anyway.

It worked! I went for a drive and was getting much leaner AFRs at 100kph, which is kick ass. Of course, it started to pour rain while I was out and it was then I discovered the wipers didn't work anymore. Adding a ground strap made them function again, but it's a motor from 1984 so I think I'm going to swap in the 93 I have on the shelf. I'll be adding the ground strap to that one too.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:44 PM   #806
Broke4speed
Board Member

I'm unwilling to settle for 'semi-decent enough' when it comes to the cruise tuning...which sucks. I've spent quite the small fortune on calibrated parts, but I think it's getting better. I'm getting stoich-ish at 80kph but 12-13 at 100kph (60mph) and I just can't stand that. I've got some 5.0 aux vents arriving on monday, which, according to any of the books I can find that touch on aux vent tuning, is the proper size for 500cc+ cylinders and HOPEFULLY delays the mains a wee bit. Failing that, I guess I'm going to have to try upsizing the chokes.

If my LS swap mounts ever show up (**** you, Canada Customs), I may just pull everything and sell it to the first person who shows up with a case of Red Bull and some nice steaks for the BBQ. I can't keep spending :(.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #807
StanleyR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
I may just pull everything and sell it to the first person who shows up with a case of Red Bull and some nice steaks for the BBQ. I can't keep spending :(.
Still cheaper than purchasing a newer/different fun "toy". Especially in the current market.

Keep at it, you'll get it right soon enough!
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:13 PM   #808
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

ITBs wouldn't be toooooo much effort to install at this point
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:59 PM   #809
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Seriously. So much easier to tune with a laptop.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:13 PM   #810
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
ITBs wouldn't be toooooo much effort to install at this point
Honestly, if these replacement aux vents don't work...ITBs are happening. The engine itself is the most leak/smoke-free redblock I've ever had, and the intake noise, even at cruise, is addictive. I'm an IAT sensor and 4 injector wires away from having a complete MS2 install so it would take no time at all. I still have the in-tank pump I was using for the whiteblock swap, so it'd be an afternoon's work.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:15 PM   #811
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Seriously. So much easier to tune with a laptop.
I mean, kinda yeah. Honestly, if I was in a situation where I had every single calibrated weber DCOE part available to test with, I'd feel differently...but man, this **** costs $$ and is impossible to get quickly in Canada.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:18 PM   #812
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Still cheaper than purchasing a newer/different fun "toy". Especially in the current market.

Keep at it, you'll get it right soon enough!
I'm really hoping the new aux vents work out 'well enough', but I won't know until they arrive on monday. I really like carburetors, or...well...I like the IDEA of carbs, I guess. I've never had to spend so much on jets/parts before, so it's kinda killing my affection for the set of dual calibrated fuel leaks on my engine currently, haha.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #813
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got bored, found a little motivation to put the LS on a mobile cradle and start cleaning it up. The knock sensors were both completely rusted into dust, so I guess I'll need to address that. The rear main is weepy, so it's getting changed out eventually too.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #814
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got the 5.0 aux vents...and things are...better? The original aux vents are supposedly 4.5, or that's what I assume, but they are quite a bit smaller than the 5.0 so I think they might actually be 3.5s. The cruise AFRs are acceptable but I had a moment of clarity while driving and I think it's all because of the PZ cams. I have never had such a hard time trying to find a good balance point between power and economy when tuning DCOEs, but I realized I've never had anything other than setups with mild stock cams. I believe there is quite a bit of overlap on these penta cams, and that's what's causing my frustrations. It's got GREAT acceleration and WOT power, but I genuinely don't think I can achieve the cruise AFRs I want without going to EFI.

I might invest in some adjustable cam gears if I can find some that won't break the bank.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #815
GTJordan
Been here for too long

You should get a video with WOT sounds from these things.

I'd be interested to hear it

Jordan
Old 07-12-2022, 04:13 PM   #816
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Agree...before the LS goes in let us hear the song of the carb'd 16v.

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #817
esmth
Board Member

the council has spoken. dcoe farts required to pass
Old 07-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #818
Broke4speed
Board Member

Ok, I'll do what I can to provide aural stimulation. The LS won't be going in any time before fall/winter, I still need to get a clutch and hydro TOB, as well as convert to a hydro pedal.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #819
Broke4speed
Board Member

Put in a (possibly un-needed) replacement 'upgraded' oil control barbell. It was cheap, and was a nice snug fit.

I'm replacing the rear main seal...and it baffles my mind that GM didn't put any dowel pins to align the cover and there's a special tool to do the alignment of the cover before the seal goes in. I have no interest in putting this thing in the car more than once, but I didn't want to take the chance it seeped at all due to my inexperience with this engine. I REALLY didn't want to buy a 'use-once' tool for $120 USD so I 3D printed it. Works like a charm .

Old 07-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #820
Broke4speed
Board Member

Rear cover gasket and crank seal, done. New valley gaskets, done. Hopefully I'll be able to round up some knock sensors this weekend (and the brittle little harness that connects them to the main harness). My STS mounts finally arrived, no thanks to Canada Customs, who had been holding on to them since June 28th. Now all I need to round up is a clutch disc, pressure plate, hydraulic TOB, and POSSIBLY some of the chinese Hooker Block Hugger clones...depending on how I decide to do the exhaust. It's already got a clone Holley swap pan, so no worries about that.

I'll be taking the carbies on a 4 hour road trip this weekend too. Should be interesting to record the fuel economy, given where I stopped the tuning, lol. I don't have any plans to do the LS swap before fall/winter, so I've got to get enjoyin' the 2.5 16v while I can.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:26 AM   #821
Broke4speed
Board Member

So I travelled 200km and potentially used nearly half a tank of gas according to the gauge...oof. I filled up before I left but didn't stop to fill up when I got back, like I should have, so I can't say for sure what the MPG was...but I think it was bad. I'm still having the issue where it's lean surgey at 80kph (limit on minor hwys) and kinda richy at 100kph (limit on major hwys). I don't think I need more jets to try, because I've got most of them (seriously...$$$ :( ), but there's definitely something up. If I had to say, I'd blame the very-obvious huge overlap the PZ cams have but I can't afford to fire the parts cannon anymore :(. Reducing the overlap MIGHT help, but there's no specs for these cams anywhere so I can't even say I'm on the right track. I've had to run some big pump jets, a 0 bleedback valve, and a 3x stiffer than stock acc pump spring, just to try to overcome a lean transition that shouldn't exist, IMO...so there's definitely something I'm missing. The wideband readings are really bouncy due to having it mounted in only one runner of the downpipe too, so I am not sure I can even trust it. I've tried going by feel...but the MPG seems to back up the gauge...kinda.

I do NOT want to give up on the carbs, but I am not having any fun at all this year. I haven't driven it in a couple weeks because I just don't want to deal with it. :( Does anyone know a CHEAP (maybe free) way to advance/retard stock 16v cams? I've considered removing them and drilling new locator holes for the dowel pins, but the last thing I want to do is eff up my cam gears.

It's really looking like I'll be pulling and selling the 16v stuff sooner than expected, if I can't find a tuning compromise. I cannot spend any more money on this setup this year, the budget is at full stop.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:34 AM   #822
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

I found some cheap eBay/Alibaba 16v timing gears a while back. I think they were $50/ea. I’m sure Harlard probably has a set of slightly mangled ones he could sell you.

What rpm are you seeing the lean and rich conditions at? Does it happen in other gears, but at the same rpm?

What’s the AFR in cruise when it’s lean and rich?
Old 07-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #823
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Also that’s like 25 MPGs… which is pretty darn good (assuming 5-gallons of fuel used)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #824
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I found some cheap eBay/Alibaba 16v timing gears a while back. I think they were $50/ea. I’m sure Harlard probably has a set of slightly mangled ones he could sell you.
They are mint, thankyouverymuch.

I'm also shocked at how nice they are.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #825
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
They are mint, thankyouverymuch.

I'm also shocked at how nice they are.
Was it the Nuke/yoshifab ones that you... nuked?