home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #826
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Was it the Nuke/yoshifab ones that you... nuked?
I nuked ONE Yoshifab gear. ONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #827
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
I found some cheap eBay/Alibaba 16v timing gears a while back. I think they were $50/ea. I’m sure Harlard probably has a set of slightly mangled ones he could sell you.
I'll do more searching on the chinese sites, I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Quote:

What rpm are you seeing the lean and rich conditions at? Does it happen in other gears, but at the same rpm?
The problem RPM is ~2300. If I tune it for leaner at that point...it's SUPER lean above that. If I tune it by feel and smooth it out there...it gets way too rich above. The issue is that @2300, I'm at highway (100kph) speed in 5th. If I try to use 5th at 80kph (minor hwy speeds), I'm at 1900rpm...and it is rich and luggy. For that reason, I use 4th on the minor hwys, which then puts me at 2600. If I tune for decent 2300 cruise...2600 is off the scale lean. If I tune for 2600 rpm cruise, then 2300 is silly rich. If I could get a shorter rear end, like 4.10 (3.373 currently) or a shorter 5th (currently .73 IIRC), it MIGHT help...but I am so exhausted already, lol.
Quote:
What’s the AFR in cruise when it’s lean and rich?
When I tune for 13.5-14.5 cruise at 100kph in 5th, I get 15-17 (and surging) at 80 (which is 2600 due to using 4th). The problem is definitely compounded by gearing, which is probably not the best choice for the car if I'm staying carbed. I suspect reducing overlap could help a bit, but I'm definitely shooting blind at this point.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #828
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Also that’s like 25 MPGs… which is pretty darn good (assuming 5-gallons of fuel used)
I honestly have no idea how much fuel I used because I didn't stop and fill back up like I should have. The gauge in these cars is horrible, so I don't really trust it all that much. It says I burned half a tank, but I don't know exactly. I could be fabricating all these issues in my head, who knows. If I can drag myself out of my self-pity, I'll go to the gas station and add the distance to the record from my last trip and see for myself if I'm just being a goober or not.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #829
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

It sounds like a harmonic issue, which changing the overlap and cam timing will definitely change that. Gotta love carbs where they add fuel when the air moves through the carb on wave reflections.

I'm not sure if you have a bunch of air horns or a 3d printer, but changing the lengths of the air-horns can help at part throttle but it's mostly a WOT throttle tuning tool.

Looks like $90 USD for 16v cam gears from aliexpress, might be cheaper on alibaba.

Head work: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349975

Temp Sender Adapters: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348169
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #830
Broke4speed
Board Member

I did actually see those aliexpress cam gears just now, and DAMN...that's cheap! Hmmm....
Old 07-30-2022, 12:02 PM   #831
Swedbrick
Board Member

Those AliExpress gears have a tooth pattern that is slightly off IIRC, so beware they might eat your belt
I sell LH2.4 Chips for Europe!
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:25 PM   #832
Broke4speed
Board Member

Well, as much as it pains me to admit...I've called it quits on the 16v stuff due to a few different reasons. I may be on a bit of extended leave from work so I've decided to use that time to do the LS swap. I'm a hydraulic throwout bearing away from having everything I need so I will be pulling the 16v out soon.

Yep...ANOTHER engine swap .
Old 07-30-2022, 08:36 PM   #833
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

cool, looking forward to following along

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:39 AM   #834
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

So those DCOE 45s you’ve got….
Old 07-31-2022, 06:44 PM   #835
Broke4speed
Board Member

Well, they're FAJS versions, but they work perfectly and are even better than the other set of chinese clones I have here. The quality of materials and machining is actually higher, probably on par with genuine ones. They look pretty nice next to the genuine DCOE40s I have as well. Interested? ;)
Old 07-31-2022, 09:23 PM   #836
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Well, they're FAJS versions, but they work perfectly and are even better than the other set of chinese clones I have here. The quality of materials and machining is actually higher, probably on par with genuine ones. They look pretty nice next to the genuine DCOE40s I have as well. Interested? ;)
Definitely interested in some 45s. There’s a classic/vintage stage rally that’s starting up, and I’m waiting to hear back on if ITB efi will be legal… or do I have to go with carbs.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:12 PM   #837
Broke4speed
Board Member

I'll set them aside, just in case ;). I've got a LOT of jetting to go with them too...like...a LOT, lol.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #838
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
I'll set them aside, just in case ;). I've got a LOT of jetting to go with them too...like...a LOT, lol.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2022, 09:37 PM   #839
244tiCanuck
Board Member

Quote:
Well, as much as it pains me to admit...I've called it quits on the 16v stuff due to a few different reasons. I may be on a bit of extended leave from work so I've decided to use that time to do the LS swap. I'm a hydraulic throwout bearing away from having everything I need so I will be pulling the 16v out soon.

Yep...ANOTHER engine swap .
Okay man, but like, get this; if you LS swap it you're still gonna have a 16 valve.

16 valve purgatory, man. That's like, a bummer.
244tiCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #840
Broke4speed
Board Member

As of yesterday I received the final parts I need to do the full install of the engine/trans. Starting next week, the 16v redblock will be getting pulled and I'll be finishing the hydraulic clutch conversion. I may notch the crossmember slightly to make it easier to put the engine/trans in as a unit. Once the 16v is out I can swap the T5 over to the LS and set up the hydraulic throwout bearing with the neat tool I got from Speedway Motors to make it easier, since I am not precise and I do not understand freedom units of measurement when determining shims and such.

Then I cross my fingers that I can get the engine in the bay such that I'm able to re-use my current one-piece driveshaft.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #841
Broke4speed
Board Member

It's been a stressful week, but I've managed to get some stuff done. My stepdad passed away last saturday, and while I'd like to say it was sudden and he didn't suffer...yeah :(. He had been sick for a long time, and ended up passing due to sepsis from an infection around one of his pacemaker leads. He was 85 but it's never easy, especially since he had been a part of my life since 1984. RIP Franz Winterwerb.

I spent a few days at my mom's place, then came home and went right to work. I needed to de-stress and well...engine swaps are autopilot now.

Engine's out:

Steering shaft is in (this was more frustration than I expected, but that's a 'me' issue, not a quality one):

I posted the engine (minus carbs and intake) for sale immediately after it's removal...and it was bought within 4 hours. Deposit sent and balance on saturday morning when they pick it up. These funds SHOULD go towards all the LS parts I bought over the past few months...but...temptation exists.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:13 PM   #842
Broke4speed
Board Member

I effing hate removing pedal clusters. The master and modified clutch pedal is in, and every muscle on the upper part of my body is cramping and sore. That stupid long bolt goes in and out just fine in the 'cable clutch' location...but I just could not get it back into the cluster with the 'hydro clutch' location. I gave up and pulled the whole thing and now I hate life.

I did get some more TOB shims from summit racing today though, so that's good. Once I get the proper spacing I can actually connect the trans and engine and maybe think about dropping it in. Probably won't happen for a couple weeks though, we're going on a much-needed cottage vacation. I really need to get away, so the car will sit.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #843
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Weird. Last time I did it, it only took like half an hour and ended up with only minor lascerations...
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #844
Broke4speed
Board Member

After getting it all installed...I realized I need to install a pedal stop to ensure the hydro TOB doesn't blurp fluid by being over-pressured. I'm either going to weld something to the pedal itself, in-situ, or mount something off the firewall like the one on the 240Turbo.com site.

I will NEVER pull that cluster again, lol.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #845
Broke4speed
Board Member

I wanted to get the engine and trans together before vacation...and mission accomplished. I now have an LR4 4.8 attached to a Ford WC T5, using a '621' reproduction GM bellhousing and a Hot Rod Works muncie-to-Ford pattern adapter. There's a Howe GM hydraulic TOB in there (the Hot Rod Works kit recommends a GM bearing retainer that's cut down a bit, so I bought it from them too) on quite a few shims, but it'll be fine. Thanks to the large fork hole I was able to check the bearing clearance once it was all together too.

I used this tool from Speedway to set up the bearing, and it's great. I am not a precise person, and I do NOT like working in freedom units, so this made it easy.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Tool,3168.html

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/conten...peedway-motors

About a million Foxbody GTs have proven that this box will be fine for my use. If (when) it blows, I'll just get a stronger replacement for cheap . The best part is that any replacement box with a Ford T5 pattern will fit this adapter, so I have quite a few options if I wish. I'm really hoping that the STS mounts allow me to set the engine/box in the same spot as the 4cyl so I could re-use my current one-piece DS, but if not...ah well.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #846
Broke4speed
Board Member

While on vacation...something happened to my back. Since Aug 30, I have been in constant, crippling pain. I can't sleep, I can't stand, I can't sit, without agony. For the moment, while they try to figure out what is wrong with me, I consume Tylenol 3s at a rapid rate. My daily cocktail of pain killers consists of at least 8 Robax Platinums, 2-4 Tylenol 3s, and any random acetaminophen that wanders by. I sleep in a recliner because laying in bed offers no relief, and getting to a standing position in order to use the bathroom is some of the worst pain.

So yeah...I want to put the engine in, but now I have no idea when it will happen :(.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #847
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Time for some physio! I have been through this a couple times with my elbow, shoulder and neck and I found the longer you avoid proper treatment the longer it takes to heal (If you heal at all). Wishing you the best and a smooth recovery!

2019 VW Golf R w 6 Speed w 9500 kms NEW DD

@smoothdurban on IG
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #848
Swedbrick
Board Member

Back pain sucks, a failed blob jump (one of those bags that can shoot a person) landed me in the same ordeal. Hot morning showers and careful movement made it go away within a few months, mornings are the worst when you get going, melatonin helped with the sleep. Hopefully you'll be able to recover soon!
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:55 PM   #849
GTJordan
Been here for too long

I've dealt with back problems for years being tall and having to bend over under a hoist for the last 16 years. It has taken its toll. I've been modified light duty for the last 2 years and that didn't help it. The only thing that ever made my back feel good, once it started hurting, was going to the gym daily.

Hope you can get through the initial pain and figure out the problem. Then go from there. It sucks and it is so slow.

Jordan
Old 09-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #850
Broke4speed
Board Member

Good news everyone! It's a spinal infection and I'm going to be in the hospital for a while :(.