home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 12-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #101
sloopy
2-digit whp

Please update us on what spring rates and lengths you decide on. I've gone down this exact path and have inadvertently ended up with oem diesel springs on the front of my car. I'm going to order Ben's coilover setup, but I want to spend some time looking into spring rates first. I have an oem 23mm sway bar up front and have been wondering if there is a good rule of thumb for choosing a front spring rate which would pair well with that. Then I guess once I've chosen a front spring rate, I would use the front spring rate to determine an appropriate rear spring rate.
> front suspension: bne coilover, 250 lb/in spring, koni yellow strut, bne qsrc v2, bne strut mount, 23 mm bar, 16 mm wheel spacer
> rear suspension: bne spring perch, 150 lb/in spring, koni yellow shock, 19 mm bar, 32 mm wheel spacer
> wheel: 15x7 volvo multi-x
> tire: 225/60R15 bfgoodrich radial t/a
> misc: 6 lb lithium battery
sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #102
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarNewTricks View Post
Great, I've reached out to him. Looks like the next step is figuring out spring rate of my front springs, as that is what is required to figure out a match for the rear.
Or find a large force tester and measure the spring rate.
Do you live near a university? Maybe reach out to a faculty member and ask for some assistance...a Mechanical Engineering side project? I imagine a ME lab could mimic something like this: https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=11
Just a thought.

|Feedback|

Last edited by oldschoolvolvo; 12-08-2021 at 03:44 PM..
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #103
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopy View Post
Please update us on what spring rates and lengths you decide on. I've gone down this exact path and have inadvertently ended up with oem diesel springs on the front of my car. I'm going to order Ben's coilover setup, but I want to spend some time looking into spring rates first. I have an oem 23mm sway bar up front and have been wondering if there is a good rule of thumb for choosing a front spring rate which would pair well with that. Then I guess once I've chosen a front spring rate, I would use the front spring rate to determine an appropriate rear spring rate.
I will definitely post whatever I find out. Given the thickness of the front springs, they should be a fair bit more stiff than any of the factory options.

I've begun looking into and reading up on spring rate testing. Pretty soon I'll have a shop press in my garage, so I may build up my own crude tester. Either that, or I can send my springs to a material testing shop and have them figure it out for me.
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #104
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

At a very large guess. I would say those front springs are something like 160lb springs. The usual comment years ago was that the GT springs were 30% stiffer than stock. So stock being around 125lb from what I recall. 125+37.5=157.5. So the GT springs are around that 160lb. range. That seems about the correct zone to me because the IPD lowering springs I have are just over 150lb springs and the GT springs and IPD lowering both seem about the same stiffness to my butt. With the GT springs actually feeling a bit stiffer to me.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #105
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Nordicar does not have the spring rate. I've asked them to provide me with the manufacturer's contact information. I cannot find the manufacturer's website. They are called "Vantage," and that's all I know so far. I'll keep searching.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #106
2manyturbos

The spring rate can be calculated.

https://www.thespringstore.com/sprin...alculator.html
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #107
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -

^

Even easier ...

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 12-09-2021 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Coil springs not Valve springs.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #108
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

I found this one a day ago: https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/how-...-spring-rates/

Only thing is that I don't know what material my springs are made of.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #109
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -

Quote:
I found this one a day ago: https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/how-...-spring-rates/

Spring steel.

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #110
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post

Spring steel.

I meant more about 1095 as opposed to another spring steel type.

But I guess stainless spring steel is a thing, which I didn't know.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_steel
Old 12-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #111
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

https://eibach.com/us/p-192-spring-rate-calculator.html

I used this calculator and ended up with 167 lbs/in.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:56 PM   #112
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Vantage is actually a Nordicar brand, not the true manufacturer of the springs.

I found in small print on my springs "Pp Sweden 43415803." I think the springs are actually a professional parts sweden part. I'll contact them next.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #113
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:

As long as you know they are steel, the alloy or heat treat won't affect the spring rate, only the durability of said spring.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #114
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
As long as you know they are steel, the alloy or heat treat won't affect the spring rate, only the durability of said spring.
Good to know! Thanks!

I'll message you back soon regarding the rears. I still haven't heard back from Pro Parts Sweden. So I may end up going off the estimate
Old 12-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #115
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Just use your estimate or mine. That is the zone these springs were at because Volvo wasn't going to give you something full sporting stock on these cars. That was for you to buy the Rsport stuff over the parts counter.

I find the springs feel a little stiffer than the old style IPD lowering springs I had a long time ago. Which makes sense because the old set of IPD lowering springs I have stashed are 152lb springs. They were nice enough back then to give you little tags on each spring with the specs on it.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #116
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Just use your estimate or mine. That is the zone these springs were at because Volvo wasn't going to give you something full sporting stock on these cars. That was for you to buy the Rsport stuff over the parts counter.

I find the springs feel a little stiffer than the old style IPD lowering springs I had a long time ago. Which makes sense because the old set of IPD lowering springs I have stashed are 152lb springs. They were nice enough back then to give you little tags on each spring with the specs on it.
I think you're probably right. Still nothing from PPS.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #117
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Figured I'd keep trying to find the manufacturer's spec, but came up more confused. The manufacturer has the 43415803 listed on their site, which apparently superceded 72432606. Both parts are for a GLT Estate/Turbo?

However, even though the 43415803 is stamped on my springs, the ad has the wrong info for them listed for both part numbers. They have them listed as 13.5mm thick.

I've tried contacting PPS twice, and another seller. No responses. Not surprising, as I don't speak Swedish, and translations may make no sense?
Old 01-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #118
iwannadrive
Board Member

Have you gotten these onto the car yet? Real curious what the ride height is - I’m looking to do something 242GT-like but slightly lower on my 245 Turbo.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #119
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannadrive View Post
Have you gotten these onto the car yet? Real curious what the ride height is - I’m looking to do something 242GT-like but slightly lower on my 245 Turbo.
I have not yet, but I will do soon. I tried ordering Bilstein HDs last Oct, but they're out of stock for who knows how long. So my current objective is finding strut inserts that will do the job. May just run Bilstein touring.