• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Oil sensor light blinking quickly

Elvolvito

Started up my ?88 244 this morning & noticed my oil light was flashing very quickly. It seemed to go away every time I revved it & increased the RPMs, but then it would immediately start flashing again once I let off the gas. I checked the oil level & it seemed lower than usual so I added a bit more. Mind you, my last oil change was only about a month 1/2 ago. What could be causing this?

The wiring is likely shorted under the engine

/\ /\ /\ There's practically no way the actual oil pressure is doing that. Wiggly bare wire is grounding on something. The insultation gets hard as a rock and cracks off after a couplafew decades of heat and oil exposure.

Same thing happed to me. Found the wire partially torn out of the connector to the pressure sending unit. Floppy motor mounts didn't help either.

Worst case would be you have *lousy* hot idle oil pressure, and the wire is loose on the sensor.

Where would the connector happen to be? Never had to fiddle with it before so I don’t know where to find it.

Does the light behave differently with different weather conditions? If yes, it is most likely a wire grounding out.

Where would the connector happen to be? Never had to fiddle with it before so I don?t know where to find it.

On the passenger side of the block, below the exhaust, above the alternator, in front of the oil filter. The wire (along with some alternator wiring) drops down and goes underneath the front of the motor on over to the driver side.

Your motor mounts probably suck so every time you get on the gas the engine rocks over to the passenger side and grounds out some part of the exposed wire. Or, less likely, is that the sender is loose and is spitting some oil out whenever you rev the motor and build oil pressure. 15/40 oil and you'll be good to go.

The sending unit is on the block on the passenger side next to the alternator. It's a single wire sensor with a male/female fitting.

How could I go about uniting that link again? Whole new connector? Or can I just splice the wire & put a new end?

I'm not sure where to get a replacement pigtail with a new plastic. Maybe Dave Barton or the dealer.

You CAN just get a wiring lead from IPD for about $6 and re use the plastic. I would run a new wire all the way to the firewall connector. Use plastic conduit around it. You may want to do the same with the alternator exciter circuit. I ran fresh oil pressure switch and alternator circuits on my 240 and never had a problem again

As a temp/quick fix it looks like you could just pull that plastic plug end out of the sender and plug the wire into it. Maybe gently bend it in again so it will grip the terminal on the sender.

As a “temporary” fix, I just kinda shoved the wire back in there & it hasn’t bothered to come out again lmao, let’s see how long it lasts.

Just make sure the oil light is on before you start the engine. It's an important warning light.

Back