• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 My friend's son needs our help. (Lubbock TX)

bwright002

Hi Tbrickers,
Hope you can help here. My friend's son has just purchased an 85 245. Lots of miles on it, but nearly no rust. Car apparently runs well, but has two immediate problems.

The car came with what look to be BMW style rims and spacers. Different width on the rear. One of the rims (possibly two) are damaged and his local wheel shop says they can't be repaired.

Anyone have a set of Volvo rims (alloy preferred) with tires or without for a 245? He's in Lubbock, so I don't think the local pick n'pull will have much for him to use, unless there's a Ford model that will work.

Second issue, is that the car doesn't have a reverse gear (automatic). Well, it kind of does, but apparently he has to rev the s**t out of it to get it to go in reverse. That issue could be something simple like low transmission fluid, but I'm not in Texas to help him.

His name is Allen and he's a good guy (great at car painting). I pointed out this 245 to him, so I kind of feel responsible to help him. I've had great luck over the years with Turbobricks helping me, so it's my turn to try to help him.

Any Texas tbrickers who go anywhere near Lubbock?
Thanks all.
Bruce
Grand Rapids MI
78 242

Hi CW, thanks for the tip about Ford Taurus wheels. I'll suggest those to him. Hopefully they used a similar offset or one that can be adapted with some spacers.
Really appreciate your help.

Hi Tommy, my thoughts as well. I'll have him check the fluid level first. I think he's so focused on the wheels that he hasn't done the simple stuff first.
And on the Ford wheels, I see Ford typically runs a 63mm front bore, whereas the 240 stock wheel bore is 65mm. Anyone had success getting the Ford wheels bored out, or is that a bad idea?

Anyone had success getting the Ford wheels bored out, or is that a bad idea?

Depends on how much meat the wheel has i that hud area. I think it would be a job for a pro machinist and that will probably not be cheap.

How about Crown Vic/Marauder wheels?

Personally i'd let him be on the lookout for any Volvo wheels , from 200, 700, 900 are Low offset and most(if not all) will fit without issue.

800, S60/V70/C70 are also 5x108 but higher offset so will need spacers.

Hi Janspeed, you're likely correct that it wouldn't be cheap to get Ford wheels bored out. I've informed him about Dallas Elect Auto Service that has posted on Craigslist with Volvo RWD and FWD wheels, but hoping to find something closer to Lubbock for him.
Ideally he wants to avoid spacers, so RWD is much preferred.

Back