• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brake rotors - no disc portion? - unknown function

the_hairy_baboon

Among the spare parts that came with my 1983 245 GLT is a set of two brake rotors without the disc portion. They've got lines on on them like they were lathe shaped, and all the holes for lug nuts, but they just don't head out for any braking surface like what makes a disc brake a disc brake. I can't even figure out search terms to find a similar item and can't figure out what they'd be for. Rear brake delete (just have parking drums in rear)?

Think this, but no surface for the caliper to squeeze the pads onto.
41031.jpg

Let me know if not clear and I'll take a photo of them and upload it

I've seen people do that to put other brakes on and keep the original parking brake functionality. Like Wilwood rotors on alloy hats, with that part of the original rotor underneath.

I've seen people do that to put other brakes on and keep the original parking brake functionality. Like Wilwood rotors on alloy hats, with that part of the original rotor underneath.

so like getting the spacer rings for aftermarket wheels so they stay centered properly

You only need 2, for the emergency brake. The rear R rotors fit overtop of those brake hats so the e brake functions. There are some great threads on the big brake kits if you are missing stuff, Dave Barton has some good info on his site as well.

Edit: Post a pic of what you have, maybe we can help make sense of it, and what you will need to complete it. If you are trying to put big brakes on that is.

Here's a photo of one of the rear brake discs with the rotor hats. They both appear to be the same OD, meaning the hat doesn't sit inside the disc. The disc also appears
to have less depth than the hat, and is missing a slightly different diameter race for the parking brake, so I'm not sure if the discs will actually fit on this car (at least if I want the handbrake to work)
uZbRw26.jpeg

The Rear Disc appear to be: Meyle 515 521 5011/pd min thk 8mm 73217241 -- These seem to be discontinued and can't find fit/sizing on them anyways (at least not listed in their catalogue here: https://www.meyle.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/downloads/kataloge/092016/Kat_Linie-Volvo_en.pdf)
Front Discs are 1192 (/) 130504 min th 24.0mm made in Germany 0486, 486 (one says 0486, the other says 486)
Brake pads are bosch quietcast - they look like they should be the correct matches, but haven't recorded their part numbers yet.

I'm not entirely convinced the prior owner bought the correct size set of brakes. Anyone recognize the supposed kit / whether the hats are just old spares or something...?

per the owner's posting way back when: sts machining s60r BBK kit

I'm not seeing any offset adapters for different calipers. I do see some flexible hoses for the new brake lines

It looks like maybe they're the drums for https://www.stsmachininginc.com/pro...s-without-e-brake-drums?variant=8435053756452

But then there's the question of what brake discs were bought cause they won't fit over the drums, and aren't long enough axially / don't seem to have a handbrake race.

They aren't made to fit over another drum. They go inside the back of the big rear Porsche rotors.
Go here and you'll see how they're used: https://www.240turbo.com/volvo240bigbrakes.html#cayennecalipers

Dave

Right. The rusty (already rusty when I got them) drums/hats/whatever you call them would fit inside bigger Rotors.

The point is, what the prior owner claimed was a Big Brake kit appears to be missing many of the parts that would make it work (rotors that fit over the drums, adapters for bigger brakes...) AND also didn't appear to get rear rotors that would even go with the rear brakes (at least while keeping parking brake functionality)

Back