• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Stripping a '70 145 - What unavailable parts should I save?

alschnertz

Enough already!
Since I've been out of the early 140 series game for a few years, I'm wondering what oddball types of things are no longer available but needed as I strip my 145. Even small stuff like clips, fasteners etc. The car was pretty well sorted out and I don't mind removing specifics if they're still there.

I know to save obvious "good condition" items like dashboard, switches, door cards, trim etc. but I'm thinking about smaller overlooked items that may be left on the car as it was taken away for scrap. Items that you'd say "damn, I just threw one of those away."

Thanks

Might not be worth your time. There isn't much demand. Maybe on a specific Facebook 140 group but it seems there are just not as many 140 enthusiasts. I guess if it has manual transmission bits but I assumed it's an auto?

All 140 parts sell...eventually...
...for how much (< shipping/packaging cost?) & whether or not you want them haunting you/your garage for another ~10 years on avg. or risking a paypal 1099 on a lousy $600/yr is another matter entirely...:lol:

Or removing & evaluating/grading 50 year old parts for condition from the rust coast...
...not many cars remaining to put them on & too many 1-year-only weird/obscure changes on the 'forgotten series.'
140s were the 7/9s & 122/1800/544 motor donors of their day compared to the 240s being more the recipients & 7/9s the cars that get weighed in/junked...

Liked them/liked 4 power disc brakes & power steering, car I could fit in as a taller guy & useful 'boxy but good' cargo area, but I and most others used/roached them down HARD.
A few grandma/grandpa 142s & 144 automatics survive w/low miles in the carport/garage if they haven't been sitting under the tree for 20-30 years?...:lol:...

They whacked out a lot of 140s over their short(ish) '68-'74 run...supposedly ~1.5million?
IDK how many of those made it to the USA (or even North America?) & how that compares to the ~3million 240s they whacked/pressed out of the factory '74-'93 or year-to-year? Most common 240 is an '86-'87 244 production years wise...

Despite this (producing & probably importing/selling more 140s for the USA/north american market), locally anyway, literally more 122s survive over the last decade & have repop parts anymore...
...I can't really fit in a 220 that well & they feel like a much older car...
No china-pop parts to compete with/glass ceiling on price on 140 parts so much, but no cars to put them on, either, really, so that really draws a box around what gets saved much moreso?
...there's kinda a reason there's no repops parts, really? :lol:
That said, I don't think Volvo knows how many 122s they made? :roll: :lol:

Roach down or adapt 240 parts is the modus-operandi for the 140-owning nickel dime dyed in wool vintage buzzard cheapskate...

Last edited:
The rear brake pressure regulators if they aren't too rusty. Steering box is very expensive if rebuilds are even available. Probably sell the glass if it's in good shape.

Door stop straps and the boxes in the doors that receive them.

Does it have the elect. junction on the inner fender with the two plastic parts that hold it?

How about headlight buckets?

Lots of unique parts on the earlier 140s...rear vent windows and latches are only on early cars, rubber floor if it has it in good shape. Any b20 accessories (power steering, AC) are fairly rare. If it is an Auto, the full shift column and all associated hardware is very hard to find in complete condition (or at least I had trouble!). Tailgate glass w/ heater was unique for 140s (if it hasn't been replaced w/ 240 glass).

I am working on putting a '68 145 back together after paint, I will drop you a line if you decide to part it out.

Brian

Heater fan.

Done.

Facebook 140 group but it seems there are just not as many 140 enthusiasts. I guess if it has manual transmission bits but I assumed it's an auto?

Never been on FB and this wouldn't compel me to join!
B20B, M41 & driveshaft were pulled for another project.

The rear brake pressure regulators if they aren't too rusty. Steering box is very expensive if rebuilds are even available. Probably sell the glass if it's in good shape.

Will look at the regulators.
Once sold a 140 steering box for around $20 to a TB'er who "desperately needed it" for his daily driver. Then saw it on eBay two weeks later for $175 - lesson learned.
There's interest in some of the unique glass, but shipping from CT will likely be cost prohibitive.

Door stop straps and the boxes in the doors that receive them.

Does it have the elect. junction on the inner fender with the two plastic parts that hold it?

How about headlight buckets?

Already have a box of 140 door straps if you need some.
Not sure what "elect. junction on the inner fender with the two plastic parts that hold it" you're referring to.
Are headlight buckets really something of interest?

The calipers are NLA on rockauto.

Have calipers, but after sitting for the last 4 years, I can't be sure they're any good.

I do still kinda want to save this thing...

Too late.

rear vent windows and latches are only on early cars, rubber floor if it has it in good shape. Any b20 accessories (power steering, AC) are fairly rare. If it is an Auto, the full shift column and all associated hardware is very hard to find in complete condition (or at least I had trouble!). Tailgate glass w/ heater was unique for 140s
Brian

PM'd

The M41 crossmember is unobtainium. I've never seen one for sale, but it's got to be worth some serious $$$.

Soak the calipers in silicon lube and they'll be fine in a few weeks. Heck, I'm from Torrington, and I plan on heading up to see family in a few weeks. I'll buy them for parts.

Back