home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #976
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
What's the issue?
Subwoofer isn't playing. The amp turns on, I've swapped RCA cables, and the sub output is on in the radio menu. The subs worked with the head unit I took out.

I just didn't have time to really troubleshoot it last night.

My sub amp has a feature to turn on when it sees an audio signal, and if I set it to that, the amp doesn't turn on, so I can only assume there's no signal coming out of the head unit.

I can apparently play a test tone and check for AC voltage on the RCAs when I get back too.
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #977
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
Subwoofer isn't playing. The amp turns on, I've swapped RCA cables, and the sub output is on in the radio menu. The subs worked with the head unit I took out.

I just didn't have time to really troubleshoot it last night.

My sub amp has a feature to turn on when it sees an audio signal, and if I set it to that, the amp doesn't turn on, so I can only assume there's no signal coming out of the head unit.

I can apparently play a test tone and check for AC voltage on the RCAs when I get back too.
Sounds like it's an issue with the RCA outs but out of curiosity, is there a sub volume control? Is it way low?

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
‘12 Mazda5 - Work Car
‘06 E350 Ambulance - Work Car
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #978
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Sounds like it's an issue with the RCA outs but out of curiosity, is there a sub volume control? Is it way low?
Yeah, there's a sub gain setting. I bumped that up and still nothing.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #979
kyote
Living The Dream

Try the rear outputs and see if you got bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
What Kyote sez, more or less
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #980
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

The firmware update fixed the sub output issue, time to button up the rest of the interior.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #981
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well the ordeal is finally done. The new carpet came from stockinteriors.com. It's a little baggy in places, mostly around the shifter hump where it goes down on the left and right, but it's not too bad. It'll probably form a bit better with some time and heat.

I'm so, so happy with the stereo. It sounds really good to me. Probably not like audiophile quality, but it's far and away the best stereo I've had in this car, ever, and better than any other 240 I've heard. Having a high pass filter on the amp for the door speakers is a game changer.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #982
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #983
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

nice job Jared

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #984
towerymt
the real Towery

Did you need a black plastic cover for the interior rear view mirror? I noticed in the IG pic that it wasn't black, and now I see what's going on under there....some sort of something covering over what I assume was not a black mirror trim cover?

I'm pretty sure I have a black one from a Turbo if you want it.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:52 PM   #985
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Did you need a black plastic cover for the interior rear view mirror? I noticed in the IG pic that it wasn't black, and now I see what's going on under there....some sort of something covering over what I assume was not a black mirror trim cover?

I'm pretty sure I have a black one from a Turbo if you want it.
Ah thanks, I covered it in the same printed burlap that I did the sunroof panel in. I’ll probably just leave it as is, thanks though.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #986
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Looks like I've inadvertently been presented with a solution for my steering issues thanks to the Buchkas, so that's neat.

Unfortunately my rear door speakers are already dead. They were Alpines that I put in circa 2011 that seemed okay, but had been used for an awfully long time. I also briefly mixed up what a high pass and low pass filter did for the rear channel, and I think I damaged them then. Oh well, putting in a pair of Kenwoods this evening that handle more RMS power anyway. No huge loss there.

If the weather's decent this weekend, I may just go ahead and throw on the QSRCs I've had on the shelf for months, and maybe re-plumb my brake system if I can find the parts I need locally.

The brakes on this car have always been suuuuuper rear-biased, to the point that the rear gets real squirrely under hard braking, and I can't hold the car still if I'm doing a burnout.

I think I'm just going to re-plumb the whole thing and get rid of the Volvo junction block. Just drop off the master port for the front brakes to a T, and split left and right, and a line from the master port for the rear to a proportioning valve, and then back to a T on the rear axle. Running off the factory junction block and having two rear lines to the back through the factory bias valves just seems pointless.

Last edited by propav8r; 06-23-2022 at 04:33 PM..