• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 242GT resurrection, with more Corvette and Mustang II. Purist look away.

Few minor updates. Progress is slow but that?s expected. Finally got around to bolting the engine to the torque tube to the rear end and doing an eye measurement and placement. I was thinking at first that the torque tube would need to be shorten but now it?s looking like it might need to be lengthened but won?t know for sure till I start cutting out sheet metal from the front of the backseat bottom cushion.

It?s also looking like the gas tank will need to be a custom made to clear the differential but that?s also once it?s in, I?ll know. The center tunnel will need to be widen as well but that?s fairly simple. There?s a lot of what if?s and will this fit?

I was able to pawn off the kid on my parents for a few hours today and then have my wife put him down for a nap so that I could get a few hours to start cutting material out on the strut towers for installing the Mustang II cross member and tubular control arm mounting. I did put the cart before the horse and didn?t mark were stock spindle height was before dismantling the suspension and if any one has a 240 chilling on stands and can at least send a photo dead on so I can see or a measurement that would be great.

I cut along on the second layer of metal out to allow room for the upper control arm mounts. I also cut out the outer layer of the frame rails and will be boxing those better than how factory had them but using the same thickness to keep a nice crumple zone. At some point I?ll cut off the top of the strut towers since I?m no longer needing those for strut housing attachment.

I decided to call this a day. In a few weeks I?ll have my control arms and mustang spindles to use as proper height between control arms. I?ll probably also cut some circle out of wood as he same height as wheels and tires minus 1/2? for squat.

I need to take the rear end cradle off and chop that down 12? and have Brett weld it back together so I can start figuring out what sheet metal needs to go and what I?m doing for frame mounting and what not.

I met my painter at a friends birthday party last night. He?s the head painter for parkplace McClaren body shop in town. I?m excited to see PPG water based paint in action.

Last edited:
The rear tunnel will certainly be a lot bigger. Are you trying to keep a back seat? I think this may end up with a rear seat delete.

The MII seems a bit narrow for the chassis? I do like the way you've exposed the 'frame rails', do you plan to replace them with rectangle tubing or work with what's there? I think this is going to work out really well, kudos for tackling it!

The MII seems a bit narrow for the chassis? I do like the way you've exposed the 'frame rails', do you plan to replace them with rectangle tubing or work with what's there? I think this is going to work out really well, kudos for tackling it!

It?s not. In its stock form it?s 1? wide than the Volvo front end, disk rotor face to face. I was going to box them and stick with what?s there.

The rear tunnel will certainly be a lot bigger. Are you trying to keep a back seat? I think this may end up with a rear seat delete.

I am. Going to turn the back seat into two separate sheets with a center dash going from front to back. Hoping to find a really good upholster in town that won?t nickel and dime me but I?m years away from that.

It?s not. In its stock form it?s 1? wide than the Volvo front end, disk rotor face to face.

Mustang II sure sounds close enough. That's probably the same width as a 240 would be with R rotors, since they stick out 1/2 inch more on each side.

Speedway lower and upper control arms came in along with mustang spindles from summit. It?s nice having summit 30 miles west of us with free two day shipping. Hopefully to get the front mocked up and tacked up this weekend or next.

Mustang II sure sounds close enough. That's probably the same width as a 240 would be with R rotors, since they stick out 1/2 inch more on each side.

lolwut....R rotors don't change the wheel mounting surface 1/2"

Made some progress on the front end. We spent about 6 hours Sunday morning taking measurements using lasers beams, plumb thingys, digital angle mujigys. It?s all tacked up. Still need to do some fine tuning on the passenger side. The top coilover mount is a little off causing the lower control arm to sit lower than the drivers side. Easy fix. Well, till my angle finder stopped working.

We also briefly mapped out the rear end. Looks like the correct path is to have custom frame rails bent for this. Tie them Into the chassis rails under the seats. Not sure when this will happen. Kind of want to get the engine in and get a rough idea what I need to do for mounts.

Was expecting to be further along with the build but life has taken over. Actually, our house remodel has taken over and starting a new job that doesn't involve building bull**** bookcases and boring furniture projects. Year will end on a really high note starting a new job December 1st as Head of Rapid Prototyping and Advanced Engineering for a digital marketing company.

I would hesitate to call that a house remodel. Looks more like you are building new from some small scraps of house that was there. Wish you well with the new job and house!

I would hesitate to call that a house remodel. Looks more like you are building new from some small scraps of house that was there. Wish you well with the new job and house!

The city calls it an "add on" cheaper taxes than starting from scratch.

Back