• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b23f+t 350 whp build

hdBattousai

So im rebuilding an old b23f and adding a turbo <del>(not sure what the turbo is but new and i got a good deal, will add pics of it later)</del> was chinese turbo, selling it and undecided on new turbo

My goals are roughly to build the motor with what i have (and whatever i need) as a reliable, torquey 350whp DD/hooning/trackday/turn heads/dyno spec, whatever. I have roughly a 3-5k budget over the course of the year and would like to have it done by the end of the year but can lengthen the time to obtain more money if absolutely necessary. I also have a buddy that'll massively discount machining costs for any work that needs to be done. Was gonna stroker but for the price of the crank and the extra work involved... :grrr:

Have:
RSI Stage 2 turbo cam
90+ Manifold
530 Head (probably gonna get a 531, if i understand correctly they flow better and more to mod)
<del>42lb green giant knockoff injectors</del> (returning)
<del>Ebay .57Trim T3/T4 chinese knockoff</del> sold

Need:
Tlao headers, dp, intake
bosch 63 lb injectors
3" Throttle body
megasquirt ems and coilover setup
better knock sensor
E-fan
Turbo - undecided

To Do:
Squirterize
Deck block
rework and flow head

Stripped, currently learning what and how much to machine

L0FYjqj.jpg

IMG_20150114_122048_zpsephyr9q6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice/schooling you can give this newb as i'm not even sure if the budget is feasible for this build

Last edited:
For 200+ whp from a 2.3L 8v you'll need bigger valves, bigger cam, higher compression as compared to a standard b23f that maybe makes 100whp on a good day. You'll need improvements in head flow as well. Costly modifications. Then adding boost onto that will be tricky if you're in the 12:1 static compression range to make that sort of n/a power.

Or you could build a ~9:1 b23f with 20psi boost and make plenty of power to have fun with, for a lot less money.

Or you could build a ~9:1 b23f with 20psi boost and make plenty of power to have fun with, for a lot less money.

After driving a stock block&head b230fk (8.7:1) on e85 pushing 32psi and my current b21et (7.5:1) running about 28psi (pumpgas and about 20degrees advance on full tilt) I'm totally sold on high boost/low compression. It's cheap and the torque is amazing :)

The 90+ and tiny injectors will be huge limiting factors in that setup.

8.7:1 CR @ 25psi will hit your goal no problem with a proper turbo and exhaust manifold.

Heck as soon as I get my new manifold built you should buy my old one, proven power maker.

Don't even put on the fake injectors. Seriously.

You could take a stock late model b230 to 300hp with a good turbo, header and supporting mods for sub 2k.

I did a super cheap build on my 244 at first and it made 260whp with a auto trans. Threw on a header and a better intake and made 315whp. Its pretty easy do

Hey all sorry had a busy night

It's a 84 b23f (i was told its high comp but once i cracked it open the pistons weren't dished)

So i realize this build idea isn't gonna be cheap but does any one have an idea of what costs would be involved so i can get a vague idea? I'm kinda just learning all this as i go and still have alot to learn with compression afr's and how everything is working together but my thoughts were build it once right so i don't have to worry about if for another 20 years. I thought chucking 20 psi at a low comp block would still blow faster then a well built block @ 1/2 bar ?.? if thats not the case then i may go the cheaper route for now as i continue to learn but my end goals are a reliable fun DD that can be dropped in and not worried about for atleast 10 years (and as an added bonus can smoke my buddys chump 6cyl mustang :lol:)

YOUR THE MAN COSBY!!! I'ma have fun readin that thread inside and out and learning it all xD

@Lord why not? they actually have their own shop front and great reviews, knock off or not people say they tend to work fairly well. They are about 2-3mm shorter then the stock ones but all attachment points are exactly the same and i'm not running them forever but i got a pissing injector right now so i need something till i can afford better ones (and thats down on the list) If there is a legit reason to not use them tho please let me know cuz i don't wanna damage anything

@Steve Royal Purple all day and rotella for cleaning/flushing

@thelo 42lb injectors are a limiting factor? i thought they were overkill... (for when i wanted to do 1 bar and put out 400+whp) any cracks on the old one? how long till the new one is done? i might just do that, was gonna contact you about a 3" downpipe too when that time came, I assume u got a tig welder? (I think someone told me you did :lol:)

tl:dr whats the cost involved and if i deem its not worth it what else do i need to get ontop of what i already have

Hey all sorry had a busy night

It's a 84 b23f (i was told its high comp but once i cracked it open the pistons weren't dished)

So i realize this build idea isn't gonna be cheap but does any one have an idea of what costs would be involved so i can get a vague idea? I'm kinda just learning all this as i go and still have alot to learn with compression afr's and how everything is working together but my thoughts were build it once right so i don't have to worry about if for another 20 years. I thought chucking 20 psi at a low comp block would still blow faster then a well built block @ 1/2 bar ?.? if thats not the case then i may go the cheaper route for now as i continue to learn but my end goals are a reliable fun DD that can be dropped in and not worried about for atleast 10 years (and as an added bonus can smoke my buddys chump 6cyl mustang :lol:)
@Lord why not? they actually have their own shop front and great reviews, knock off or not people say they tend to work fairly well. They are about 2-3mm shorter then the stock ones but all attachment points are exactly the same and i'm not running them forever but i got a pissing injector right now so i need something till i can afford better ones (and thats down on the list) If there is a legit reason to not use them tho please let me know cuz i don't wanna damage anything

@thelo 42lb injectors are a limiting factor? i thought they were overkill... (for when i wanted to do 1 bar and put out 400+whp) any cracks on the old one? how long till the new one is done? i might just do that, was gonna contact you about a 3" downpipe too when that time came, I assume u got a tig welder? (I think someone told me you did :lol:)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l2ne6AVnF2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You want a reliable daily driver that makes 350whp, via a 30 year old volvo motor that you won't have to worry about for ten years?

Exactly xD and yes i know how crazy that sounds but i know it can be done

@vb242 and once again wiki is wrong lol (or i read it backwards which happens 2 :lol:) thanks for correcting my backwards thinking!

@lord jeez thats insane, yep mine are definitely knock offs. Thanks for the heads up i will definitely be returning them after seeing that, didn't know they would cutoff, just thought flow wouldn't be as great as legits and would last me a year but those were new and cutting out! :wtf:

Yea I just had no clue about that, at worst i just figured bad flow but no actual damage. That is By far a million times worse than what i was expecting it's worst to be, thats pretty insane. Thank you very much for that info, that's the kinda stuff i need to learn what i need to.

We'll if were on this topic and ima return them what size injectors should i be looking at for my goals? i've been told that 42lbs is overkill for my goal (unless i did 200hp with 1-1 1/2 bar) so wouldn't 63 kill me? i was thinking when i got legits id go 36-38lb injectors

200hp na is going to be hard with any 8v head.

Cost per hp wise, a good used, or rebuilt b23/230 bottom end, deck the block to get the pistons poking out a few thou, hbeams and stock pistons, 9:1 comp and some boost.

Felix made 361hp with a stock 91 turbo block that sat in a garage uncovered for a few years, a tlao header for a 16g, ms2, 75lb injectors and 20psi.

I think your original goal is going to be north of the 10k mark realistically.

I think your original goal is going to be north of the 10k mark realistically.

Agreed, generally. I bought a "built with 500hp in mind" 2.3 short block last year that was never ran, to give some perspective the seller's MACHINE SHOP bill was the better part of $4k. Oh, did you want rods and pistons with that?

Back