• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Proper ring gap

icdpride

I am sure this is in a manual some where but I could not find it.

I am wondering what is the proper ring gap to set when replacing the piston rings on N/A pistons for a turbo application

it will be greater the n.a. there's a formula for it,.008 times the bore size or something like that. are these new rings? or used?

Ring gap should be .004 X bore diameter in inches, as a basic rule. Some hi/perf and turbo engines might require different gaps, check with the ring maker for their settings.

What ^^^^ said. Gap size will depend on ring material, intended use, etc.

For example the CP rings on my build are .0045/inch for NA, .0065/inch for low boost street, .0075/inch for high boost/nos. Going on the looser end may result in a very minimal, if even noticeable oil use issue, going tight can lead to binding, scoring walls, snapping ring lands if they are tight enough to butt ends.

What ^^^^ said. Gap size will depend on ring material, intended use, etc.

For example the CP rings on my build are .0045/inch for NA, .0065/inch for low boost street, .0075/inch for high boost/nos. Going on the looser end may result in a very minimal, if even noticeable oil use issue, going tight can lead to binding, scoring walls, snapping ring lands if they are tight enough to butt ends.

Those are either extremely tight, or you have an extra zero and they're extremely loose.

call the ring manufacturer and see what they recommend, There are different gaps for n.a. nitrous-boost are usually the same but for sure get ahold of them. when rings but together bad things happen ring lands break, piston tops break off, bores get gouged, I'm surprised there isn't a paper with the rings with recommend gaps

Normally there should be. First set of rings in my motor did NOT have that paper, plus the CP rep gave the wrong spec to the machine shop so the ends butted. Motor isn't quite what it was supposed to be since it had to get honed out to TRY and smooth some of the gouges.

Back