• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Help with 245 turbo value

rustrocket

Help with ?82 245 GLT value

Hey guys.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Feel free to move it.

I stumbled across a 1982 245 GLT for sale by original owner.

Quick details:
*All service records.
*White on tan leather/vinyl. All seats great, except driver’s side, which needs recovering.
*storage/spare tire carpeted covers could also stand to be replaced.
*A crack or two in dash. No door pockets (missing), handbrake cover cracked/missing pieces, ashtray cracked.
*Paint is probably an 8/10.
*At some point, some of the outside door trim fell off on and was goobered back on.
*Chrome roof rack on slick top.
*240k or so miles.
*MT. Shifts well.
*A/C stuff present, but hasn’t been working in 15 years. Heat works well.
*Has high idle upon cold starts. Gradually settles down (their mechanic said it was the cold start injector...).
*Needs two new front tires. 4 if you’re being picky and want them all to match,

Based on this, What would be a “fair” price?

Last edited:
Realistically if it's in Cali you're probably going to have to offer him more than the $1K he can get from the state to squish it plus the cost of smogging it that he is responsible for.

Edit:

Like probably at least $2.5 to $3K from the sound of it.

Last edited:
The engine wiring harness doesn't escape replacement even if the car is in a milder climate. But that seems to me from your description that it's a nice car that is going to need several of the usual high mileage old age 240 repairs. Stuff like the heater fan, all the plastic you mentioned. Rubber parts like engine mounts, trans mount, accessory bushings, etc. However, with the relative rarity and no rust so the cosmetics are not too challenging. It seems like it would be in the zone that RWC suggested. 2.5k to 3k seems about right. I have a 71k mile 81 242 turbo and I wouldn't let it go for less than 3k and in some ways it's not as nice as what you describe.

Here
49382177797_95fe727ec2_k.jpg

49382178037_a9a8d98816_k.jpg

49382178207_e1620abfb6_k.jpg

49382178462_cf250712bd_k.jpg

49381982466_3579af0a1e_k.jpg

That is a very clean car from what the pics show. I would probably do the $4k. It would cost a lot of $ and time to get one into that condition. The flaws I saw are not a deal breaker and I would hunt them down, that part is fun.

No evidence of oil leaks (anywhere). The engine has not been rebuilt, but doesn?t blow any smoke either.

Would a compression check be warranted, or is knowing the above enough?

It has been dealer maintained. Had a timing belt done 30k ago, new turbo 70k ago, new clutch and some other maintenance items.

I left the seller a message...fingers crossed.

Well I gotta say. That sure is well preserved. I'd pay 3.5 to the 4k for that if I was buying. Not many left in that condition. Is it intercooled or stock? Has it been using synthetic oil? That helps a lot.

Hope you get to enjoy ownership of the car. Keep it that well preserved and you've got a car for life.

We used to buy our friends with kids a splat mat to help alleviate the abuse. As bad as kids can be. Dogs with medium to long hair is the worst. A lab completely ruined the interior on my friends 244. No chewing, just deeply embedded hair everywhere.

Back