• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting cable trans to hydraulic

icdpride

I currently have a 1986 244dl 4 spd with a cable clutch set up I was wondering if there was any way to change that over to hydraulic fairly easily

pull type slave
wil-260-1333.jpg
and a hydro pedal box or a universal one like this
340-6916-lg.jpg

I used 940 hydraulic parts (master, slave, etc) and modified the 240 pedal assembly to suit. Some of it's prepared and the work required is not difficult if you can cut and weld.

At the gearbox end you'll need either a pull type slave as shown above or to pull the box and change the fork and pivot (maybe bellhousing too) to a push type.

Some pics of what I did here - https://picasaweb.google.com/Chookhouse.Chooning/HydraulicClutch

I often get asked to supply a conversion kit. All you need is the clutch fork, slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch pedal (or modify your existing one) and some pipe work.

I used 940 hydraulic parts (master, slave, etc) and modified the 240 pedal assembly to suit. Some of it's prepared and the work required is not difficult if you can cut and weld.

At the gearbox end you'll need either a pull type slave as shown above or to pull the box and change the fork and pivot (maybe bellhousing too) to a push type.

Some pics of what I did here - https://picasaweb.google.com/Chookhouse.Chooning/HydraulicClutch

I was coming here to add your link. I used Hen's picto write up as a guide when I did mine and it turned up very successfully. Used a master from a 740 on mine.

a cable pull-type clutch has the pivot bolt on the other side of the bellhouse.
a hydraulic type clutch has the pivot bolt on the side of the bellhouse where the clutch fork hole is located.
If you want to use OEM Volvo parts (pusher slave cilinder) you need to switch to the appropriate clutch fork and switch the pivot bolt to the appropriate location.
Or like cwdodson88 proposed, get a pull type slave cilinder.

Maybe there is something wrong with your clutch or transmission. I have no problem shifting during auto-x with a cable clutch.

Back