• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

amerbritcan's 242 build

My project thread has never seen this much action, I'm stunned. Also, I figured I'd leave this here, just for documentation's sake:

Mileage is exactly 81 000kms as of midnight EST dec12th/13th 2010

I am stil impressed you found this car in Qu?bec....
Usually old 240'S here are just a big chunk of floorless rust...
I keep telling myself that as soon as I have the money I will go find a clean 240 in Ontario :-P

I like your cars :)

so any grandiose plans for wheels and shiny suspension bits have been put on hold. Car is no longer a runner, and i have to spend some time and money figuring out why. I've got spark, I've got fuel. I've got one cylendar igniting when I use my mom's Jeep to try to Jump it. I have no combustion at all when it's cranking by itself. which would suggest something's not quite strong enough in the ignition chain. But the spark plug wires, points, condenser, rotor arm, coil wire, distributor cap are all new, spark plugs just got cleaned and re gapped (part of the diagnosis) points are working properly, etc. All I could do outside before my fingers froze and I could no longer see anything. tomorrow my dad and I are hooking up a thing that lights up when current goes through it, that goes in-line with the spark plugs, to make sure current is going to the spark plugs. 3 spark plug wires fail at once though? unlikely. timing belt looks fine, but any chance it could have somehow jumped and made it so only one cylendar's got close-enough timing to ignite? I'm so frustrated with this thing right now. Every holiday season, it leaves me stranded somewhere. last christmas eve, at 11pm, an hour and a half from my destination. Today, 8 hours from my destination. argh. Anyone want to make offers on a 'it ran yesterday' 242? all maintenance more-than-kept up on, oil changed yesterday (mobil 1 synthetic since I've owned it). 81 300km's, new rear brakes last month, would pass a safety in a sinch, too old to need e-testing? I'm so sick of this thing, it needs someone it hasn't pissed off yet.

Well that blows!
I hope you can find the trouble quick....
My 245 left me straded for a week about 2 weeks ago until I foun it was the cranck position sensor
Thank god for CAA.... :roll:

Pull the non-AC PS pump bracket off of the 244 for MrSam
93 850 front airdam, test fit install, sanded down, painted, installed
new fog lights installed in 850 airdam
install the big tach I've had for ages
install rear springs
install adjustable panhard bar, not yet purchased.
polish my virgos
buy 16" or bigger wheels for the car. if not, get new rubber for the virgos before I put them back on.
fix my crooked headlight
<strike>fix my exhaust</strike>
look at the s tance of the car and if it's squatting after the install of the rear springs, lower the front more somehow. RAKE
possibly get new rear shocks (again)-the summit racing ones Jerd's currently testing.
swap the rebuilt carb on from the 244
clean the interior
fix my broken glovebox
install speakers-
triple gauge pod
more bodywork

Progress is being made, however slowly. Car still runs like an ass of someone who's had too much vindaloo, but at least now I'm not making ears bleed. Still backfiring like a sombitch too.

Last edited:
Check your firing order. And when you're done that, dump that wretched pile of **** Stromberg carb and install an SU HIF6 in it's place. You'll thank yourself... and me, for suggesting it.

And while you're in there, yank out the EGR clarinet and plug the holes with pennies and JB Weld. It'll be the best 4 cents you ever spent keeping your new SU carb clean.

Check your firing order. And when you're done that, dump that wretched pile of **** Stromberg carb and install an SU HIF6 in it's place. You'll thank yourself... and me, for suggesting it.

And while you're in there, yank out the EGR clarinet and plug the holes with pennies and JB Weld. It'll be the best 4 cents you ever spent keeping your new SU carb clean.

these are two fantastic suggestions, and I already know they are. Does that win me any points? :lol: I'm so much more familiar with SU's too, from the MGB, to the various triumphs, and the PV all of which have had them. I just look at the Stromby and scratch my head. unfortunately I need to source one, and they're apparently a rarity nowadays.

The 244's an '84. shouldn't it have k-jet? I was under the impression that the stromby was a one-year only thing, for 1982, '81 and before having the (much better I'm sure) SU, and '83+ having K-jet? anyway, I have an '84 strombied 244.

these are two fantastic suggestions, and I already know they are. Does that win me any points? :lol: I'm so much more familiar with SU's too, from the MGB, to the various triumphs, and the PV all of which have had them. I just look at the Stromby and scratch my head. unfortunately I need to source one, and they're apparently a rarity nowadays.

The 244's an '84. shouldn't it have k-jet? I was under the impression that the stromby was a one-year only thing, for 1982, '81 and before having the (much better I'm sure) SU, and '83+ having K-jet? anyway, I have an '84 strombied 244.

History of the carb in Canadian 240s:

1975- B20F- no carb offered
1976- B21F- no carb offered
1977- B21F- no carb offered
1978-81 B21A- single SU HIF6 carb in DL models
1982-84 B21A- single CD 175 Stromberg single carb in DL models

Hope this helps. If you want an SU, try Ed Schramm (sp?) in B.C. They should be able to supply one cheap. If you do get one, feel free to bring the car over and I can help you get it swapped in and set up.

Ed Schramm said they wouldn't be able to supply me a carb, but they did give me a phone number of someone who could, and they also gave me the volvo part number for the gasket for in between the carb and the mani. Very helpful.

install rear springs
polish my virgos
buy 16" or bigger wheels for the car. if not, get new rubber for the virgos before I put them back on.
fix my crooked headlight
look at the s tance of the car and if it's squatting after the install of the rear springs, lower the front more somehow. RAKE
possibly get new rear shocks (again)-the summit racing ones Jerd's currently testing.
<strike>swap the rebuilt carb on from the 244</strike>
clean the interior
fix my broken glovebox
install speakers-
triple gauge pod
more bodywork

Car runs just about as nicely as it ever did, with the exception of idle. However, unlike the last carb, this one still has its idle adjustment screw, so I'll tinker with that later and see if I can get it to idle happy. I'm so effing glad it didn't need more to get to running right, I was (and still kind of am) ready to throw in the towel with this car. It better give me at least enough reliable useage to make it to and from PA in a couple weeks, or I may just sell it for what I can get and move on. I'm sick of not having a running car. Still ugly as sin, as powerful as the breath of a man on his deathbed, sounds like glorified fart etc. Hopefully this weekend will make me happier with the car as i fix a few more issues. Also got to sanding the flaking white paint off of the 850 air dam. Long way to go on that.

Last edited:
Today I tinkered with the ignition because I wasn't quite happy with the way the car was running still. Re-gapping the points made it run way better. Tonight, it ran at 100%, no question. I'll run it tomorrow and see if it still is, and if so, I'll probably drive it to school for the rest of the week and see if I can take it to PA instead of the 'zuki (thank goodness, that thing's horrible). It even made it sound better, the thing's happy, and sounds decent with just the one cherry bomb.

did you ever figure out those gauges? I retrofitted a set into a 1986 a few years ago, and got everything working really well. I'm actually about to scrap the car, but I could write down which wire goes where for you, if you want.

I never did, no: I don't have the pigtail. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to keep the triple pod in there, but I am at least wanting to run vacuum/'economy', oil pressure, and voltage gauges at some point. Fairly certain I could figure out the voltage gauge :p unless there's already wiring in place for it? in which case I'd sooner use that.

Any help or suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

I never did, no: I don't have the pigtail. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to keep the triple pod in there, but I am at least wanting to run vacuum/'economy', oil pressure, and voltage gauges at some point. Fairly certain I could figure out the voltage gauge :p unless there's already wiring in place for it? in which case I'd sooner use that.

Any help or suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

I'll see if I can take a look at my wiring next time I swing by my parents' house.

install rear springs
polish my virgos
<strike>fix my crooked headlight</strike>
<strike>swap the rebuilt carb on from the 244</strike>
<strike>clean the interior</strike>
<strike>fix my broken glovebox</strike>
install speakers-
triple gauge pod/ gauges
more bodywork

doing the headlights today was an excersize in frustration, the car's frontend is more bent up from the accident than I thought. Got there in the end, and, in true TB fashion, Zipties were involved at one point.

The Glovebox and the interior cleaning were done pre-trip, and the headlight was done on my trip. Jen's brother's-turned-father's 244 (volvo's have a way of making the rounds in this family) donated its headlight assembly before being scrapped.

Last edited:
Back