• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

The crushing photo is very misleading Mr! Haha.

Did you ever post a video if the whistling? As always, look forward to the updates.

Thanks,

You can hear it over everything in the video of it running for the first time. It's such a weird noise that I've never heard an engine make. It sounds nothing like an exhaust leak and not too much like some kind of bad bearing or metal on metal noise. Super weird. When you kill it you can hear it sort of die with the reduction in compression. Does that make any sense?

If the gap was that bad, wouldn't I see a lot of oil as well? I never did anything to the bottom end on this thing. Just took it out of one car, cleaned and resealed it, and put it in this one.

Certainly not counting anything out at this point. Except the intake I guess :-P

I still haven't run a hose from the top of my catch can to the turbo intake yet but I can't imagine that having anything to do with this noise.

Try cranking it with no plugs in it and see what it sounds like, maybe the is some corrosion on the cylinder walls or the bore is slightly tapered. If you can hear it without the plugs in try a little splash of oil in there to lubricate the rings and give it another go

I'll be messing with it again tomorrow and I'll try that. I definitely can't hear this noise while it's cranking now, if that means anything. Only once it starts.

Hopefully I'll just find that it's something stupid. It never did anything like this while Jared had it in his car.

I still haven't run a hose from the top of my catch can to the turbo intake yet but I can't imagine that having anything to do with this noise.

Maybe crankcase pressure whistling past the AN fitting on the catch can? Definitely defer to CosbySweater's advice, I'm just hypothesizing while I stress on my own engine build going wrong.

:lol: You'll be fine. This kind of stuff only happens to me. I'd love for it to be PCV related and easy to fix though. The only thing I did differently there is just thread the can directly onto the drain in the block/flange with an AN coupler because there was nowhere else it would fit.

Ha, I appreciate your confidence. We'll see...

I looked at your catch can, and it seems like since the pre-turbo hose isn't hooked up yet, the pressure in the crankcase has to push its way out the only opening it has, which is the top of the catch can, right? Could just be a weird harmonics thing having to do with that.

Got it running again today. Still whistles like nothing I've ever heard before. Honestly not sure what else to check.

I'm pretty sure my exhaust is okay though. I have to modify the fender some more for boost piping (that's the rattle I was hearing before), figure out this damn noise, and try some tuning.

I still bet on the exhaust, some gasket, flange at the head or header, turbo or downpipe.

I have a new turbo flange gasket that I need to put on but I really want to know what is causing this so I'm trying to do one thing at a time. I'll probably get to that tomorrow as well.

The only time you can hear it really clearly is right as the engine is shutting down and it sounds like it's from around the turbo. Otherwise it's so loud that you just can't pinpoint it.

But my alternator still isn't charging right and that's making things difficult as my battery will eventually just die.

So I noticed that you can hear it some while the car is cranking and if it's coming from a cylinder it sounds like only one. I'll have to wait until I have someone here to turn it over while I poke around.

Back