• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Muellers '78 242 project, warning, it's ugly right now :)

Mueller

My new soon to be project...a 1978 Volvo 242

Currently has a 2100cc motor producing an amazing 100hp (rated at that amount, I'm sure it's way less by now)

Plans for it???

Install newer powerplant from an '85 240 Turbo model...picked up the engine a few weeks ago, claimed to have 125K miles on it and from looking at the cylinder walls, I believe it, as of now, I don't plan a full rebuild, just clean it up, replace all the gaskets and freshen it up.

Car has a 4 speed that I'd like to replace with a late 80s, early 90s Ford Mustang 5.0 5 speed

It'll get all the wear items replaced in the suspension, new brakes and a redone interior.

Car to be lowered an inch or so and 17" or 18" wheels will find thier way onto the car.

I'm going to need the complete fuel injection (minus the intake manifold) as well as the exhaust manifold and a turbo, so if you have this stuff laying around collecting dust, lets talk....

Budget is $5500 so I got to be careful with the "options"

Long term goal is to build it to be as nice as Dougs 242 (Snoop Dougy Doug) or Dave Bartons awesome white '84 245 Turbo

a few pics...motor in truck bed, red block, cylinder head of B230FT and the car as it sits right now

blog-1133215884.jpg

blog-1133215897.jpg

blog-1133215919.jpg

blog-1133215944.jpg

JohnMc said:
Who's 911 Targa is next to the 242?

that is my father-in-laws '70 911T, I found that for him a couple of years ago for only $3,000, ....it had some rust that I had to cut out and replace (the drivers side long.)
runs great.....his is only a 2.2, I have 3.6 in mine :badboy:

426,000 miles on it, it's going to need some work :)

wow, I cannot believe it took me over a year to finally bring the car to my house....I just brought home the '78 242 yesterday, once I get my 914 (sold) out of the garage, the 242 will be going in there for some work. My original budget has been cut in half which sucks....for the time being, money/time spent will be to get it running and rebuild the suspension..I'm thinking just going with the IPD swaybars and lowering springs and the Bilstien TC shocks, the car will be a commuter so I don't need anything too wild suspension wise...the Koni Yellows are nice, but too much to justify right now.

post-87-1170120723.jpg

post-87-1170120762.jpg

post-87-1170120789.jpg

Looks like a great start! I have Bilstien TCs and iPd springs in my '78 and it drives incredibly well! I just got some 25/25 iPd sways so I'll let you know the difference. Can't wait to see the progress.

Looks like a great start! I have Bilstien TCs and iPd springs in my '78 and it drives incredibly well! I just got some 25/25 iPd sways so I'll let you know the difference. Can't wait to see the progress.

I love the look of your car, that is what I am after.....please let us all know how you like that combo...what size tires??

Fiend,

the 964 is a fun car, I just sold it to my father-in-law, but he keeps it at my house for now so I still get to drive it when I want to :) .....I also just sold my 914 that is in the garage...went from owning two Porsches to none....but I do have 2 Volvos now :-P

Worked on the car this weekend, removed the non-power steering rack to replace it with a power steering rack from an '81 242 GT that my buddy is selling to the CA smog people since it's a gross polluter.

IMG_8.jpg

Test fitted my new to me 17x8 Mustang rims shod with 245/40/17's...the diameter is within a 1/4" or so of the 14" tires that came on the car....not sure if I'll buy the adapters or make them myself, I have the proper equipment, I just need to price the material and figure out how long it'll take to make them. I usually only have a few hours on the weekends and a few hours thru the week to play in my garage and workshop so I need to maximize my time spent out there...

wheel1.jpg

The interior of my car is shot, the last 10 years of it's use was as a newspaper delivery vehicle and then they stored old extra papers in it to take to the recyclers....

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_6.jpg

These two bundles of joy is one reason I don't have much time to work on the car, I am not complaining one bit...this was thier 1st Christmas, they where born New Years day '06 !!!

IMG_2912.jpg

been a while since I've posted anything...I've actually done some work...all suspension bushings replaced with poly, new rubber brake line, new shocks and springs and new fuel sending unit and new fuel pump....I eliminated the 2 pumps and went with one instead.

'78 242 being converted to Megasquirt (car sat for 10 years, wanted a new pump and rubber lines)

The new in-tank pump will replace the pre-pump and the main pump under the car....sourced from a mid '90s Mustang 5.0, but looking at the part numbers, same pump for 4 bangers and V6s and some T-birds.

Depending on the literature, rated to flow at a min. 88lph with some listing showing 110lph...even at the minimum rating, good enough for 250HP which is fine for my application.

I "have" to have a new sending unit, I just broke a few of the wires and figured a new one wouldn't be a bad thing.

If you compare the new pump to the old pre-pump, you can see where I had to cut the tube to plumb attach the new pump (using proper SAE 30R10), easy job with a dremel.

I also silver-soldered a fitting to the outlet to allow me to use 1/4" fuel injection line (SAE 30R9)...1/4" line is supposed to be good for 300hp which is way, way more than my car will see unless I win the lotto :rofl:

fuel20sending20unit2001.jpg

fuel20sending20unit2002.jpg

Took the front struts to my bandsaw to make 'em a few inches shorter, still not sure why I decided to go this route for a DD...sniffing too much glue as a kid, who knows :wtf:

cutstruts.jpg

cutstruts01.jpg

I need to order new 2.5" diameter springs, I bought 14" springs that are too long...duh !!!

Looks like some good progress, I'm in dire need of some coilovers myself. Get some more exteior shots when you get a chance, thanks for the update! Keep it up. '78 242s FTW!

Back