• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R32rennsport's Amazon Thread

That is so rad! Car looks great

Hey thanks!

So small update. After some questioning of my dyno results as well as other measured factors it was suggested that I degree in my camshaft to 1) check mechanical timing accuracy and 2) to see if there was any performance to be gained. To begin my dyno results were on par with a strong stock B20 which was from what I was told about 10 percent under what mildly modified 2130cc big bore should produce. As I would later conclude it was due to mainly going with to low a compression ratio for my target numbers and as it would seem would also cause other underlying issues. Individual cylinder compression was on average 140psi per cylinder and on the dyno the engine could be advanced to the moon without detonation. Both signs pointing to low compression and/or not optimized opening of valve train. After I degreed in the camshaft it seems it was slightly retarded on timing and could use a few degrees of advance but certainly the head could use a good skim of .020 or .030 as compression is set at 9.25:1 with the big bore head gasket being .045. It seems that these engines really do like 10:1 when coupled with supporting modifications, the lower compression though with good intentions does not do it any favors in my instance.

I have often noticed, your eye for still photography is exemplary. Always just the right lighting, angle, background -- heck, you can make that car look good no matter where it sits. Sure, it helps to film attractive subject matter, but that's only part of the puzzle.

And then I looked at the video... wow. A masterpiece. My sweetie and I were both very impressed with the camera work, and the narrative feels just right. Bravo. My skills and exposure are apparently 20 years behind the times... although knowing that drone footage has become commonplace, I never even considered how much it could enhance this type of documentary, when performed in the right hands. Truly superb.

The close up walk-around shots, were they also via drone simply because it was available? Or did you shift to handheld, perhaps with gimbal?

Fabulous.

I have often noticed, your eye for still photography is exemplary. Always just the right lighting, angle, background -- heck, you can make that car look good no matter where it sits. Sure, it helps to film attractive subject matter, but that's only part of the puzzle.

And then I looked at the video... wow. A masterpiece. My sweetie and I were both very impressed with the camera work, and the narrative feels just right. Bravo. My skills and exposure are apparently 20 years behind the times... although knowing that drone footage has become commonplace, I never even considered how much it could enhance this type of documentary, when performed in the right hands. Truly superb.

The close up walk-around shots, were they also via drone simply because it was available? Or did you shift to handheld, perhaps with gimbal?

Fabulous.

I appreciate the kind words Erik. I can only take credit for my amateur still photography and editing which my wife has also told me I have a knack for and people seem to enjoy (I'm quite terrible at shooting anything moving especially people). My style has has certainly developed over the past 10 years though, trial and error. I think I grasp formal concepts naturally as matter of logic more then anything (like not shooting into a lighting source, etc.). I think many are astonished when I tell them all I use is my cell phone and the stock editing software that comes with it though I've been dabbling in a few editing apps.

Now on to the video. That was the masterful creation of my new found friend Paolo. He picked the location, the angles, the background music. I just supplied him with the subject matter and some recorded audio that he cut into the film as he saw fit (there was nearly an hour of raw audio from me). We were EXTREMELY lucky with the lighting and virtually no strong wind that night, it literally couldn't have been more majestic with the evening light cutting through the marine layer. As far as equipment he had a very simple drone as well as a simple gimbal setup, both of which I believe he has since upgraded. I was very happy with the ratio of voice over to car sound and that the sound track he provided was very melancholy and subtle. I had no part in the post production, that was his talents through and through!

I'm hoping to record another video later this year or early next year with another artist that's a little more high energy and on dirt. A completely different direction but hopefully appealing as well :oogle:

I'm back and now with more traction, or lack there of depending on how you use the combination of the three pedals available to you :cool:

Limited slip differential installed, check.

Look great as usual. Wait, this was at the SLOrolling rally? I’m just now putting it together it together that I saw this car, met you and watched David Bello’s video of his drive. How’s the LSD?

Very cool luggage stereo, what kind of tweeters and woofers?

It's super cool, lucked out that it sorta matches my interior. I actually won it in a promotional raffle. No brands visible but assuming that because it was a raffle donation that it wasn't anything too special. Works and sounds well for what it is, perfect solution for not wanting a permanent stereo installed in the car and I can take it and use it anywhere, in fact we just used it the other night for an outdoor family movie night.

Look great as usual. Wait, this was at the SLOrolling rally? I?m just now putting it together it together that I saw this car, met you and watched David Bello?s video of his drive. How?s the LSD?

Thanks! No way! We should start wearing our forum handles on badges :lol: What were you driving that day? That was great fun swapping cars with David. His car is so lovely, it's the perfect ying to my yang so to speak. The LSD is so far amazing, no more inside wheel spin on hard cornering but now I could use a little more horsepower (or narrower tires) to make it naughty :oogle:

Thanks! No way! We should start wearing our forum handles on badges :lol: What were you driving that day? That was great fun swapping cars with David. His car is so lovely, it's the perfect ying to my yang so to speak. The LSD is so far amazing, no more inside wheel spin on hard cornering but now I could use a little more horsepower (or narrower tires) to make it naughty :oogle:

I drove our blue 740T wagon and met the group at Bob's. It was my daughter's first Volvo event so I figured we'd limit the time spent away from the house since at 14 months old she doesn't have a huge attention span yet lol.

Now having watched the video, this car is fantastic.
For those who want to see this car in action:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/37wzapLzzeo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haven't had too many updates over the past month. Spent most of the time chasing down a mysterious misfire issue (YES AGAIN) so it has been parked and again it turned out to be fuel related. After driving a short distance cold or right away after being warm (but not at all very consistent) the car would choke and misfire like it was loosing a fuel pump. Well I'll save you the long story of diagnosing everything under the sun. Turns out it was my Redline fuel pressure regulator that was plumbed in (with an electric pump in mind down the road) with the factory mechanical pump. The mechanical pump is sufficient to supply the dual Webers in a street car so I just deleted it for the time being. Not sure why it became an issue all of a sudden as it's been on the car for a year now but there you have it. I do notice a change in engine response though so now I wonder if I need to tweak my jetting a little as I may have been compensating for a lean condition.

Not much planned at the moment, I just need to finish wiring up the driving and fog lights so that I can enjoy driving it at night now. The H4 conversions aren't really that impressive, in fact I drive with the high beams on just to match light output of my modern cars H7 output. I keep debating if I want to add a brake booster as well but the aftermarket ad on boosters for single circuit systems seem to be hit or miss from what I can tell and I don't want to go to all the effort of drilling my inner fenders and making brackets if it's not going to be a significant improvement.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone if I'm not back in the meantime, hopefully you all are able to still have some meaningful family interaction.

interesting about the lights. I have no issues running my Indian h4 lenses and rock guards without high beams on.
http://turbobricks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5587421&postcount=56
I do a lot of night driving in this thing on empty country roads too.

Did you clean your connectors ?

New pigtails and cleaned my grounds. Honestly could probably aim them a little better. I'm just jaded with all the late model cars I drive with high output, this time of year always comes as a shock to me when I start driving in the dark everyday. Even my 2004 Golf lights feel weak compared to the latest and greatest from the past 10 years. My morning commutes consist of pretty thick coastal fog so I'd at least like to get the yellows wired up. Lots of time off in the next few days so I'll see what I can accomplish.

You might be getting a lot of glare especially if your windshield is original

But I agree new headlights are horrible for people in front of them

Last edited:
With the headlights on, check the voltage at the bulbs. The Amazon headlight wiring arrangement is marginal. Supplying the headlights through dedicated fuses and relays from the Battery + terminal or an add in distribution point can make a significant difference. Light output for an incandescent bulb is at least proportional to the square of the voltage (the lamp rerating document on Wikipedia indicates the exponent is more like 3.5). If your alternator is running 13.8 - 14 volts and you are only getting 12 volts at the light bulbs because of voltage drop through the wiring you are getting a minimum 30% reduction in illumination.

Which lenses did you purchase? Hella and Cibie make excellent 7" H4s with good patterns. The off brands - not so good; but, they look trick.

With the headlights on, check the voltage at the bulbs. The Amazon headlight wiring arrangement is marginal. Supplying the headlights through dedicated fuses and relays from the Battery + terminal or an add in distribution point can make a significant difference. Light output for an incandescent bulb is at least proportional to the square of the voltage (the lamp rerating document on Wikipedia indicates the exponent is more like 3.5). If your alternator is running 13.8 - 14 volts and you are only getting 12 volts at the light bulbs because of voltage drop through the wiring you are getting a minimum 30% reduction in illumination.

Which lenses did you purchase? Hella and Cibie make excellent 7" H4s with good patterns. The off brands - not so good; but, they look trick.

I'll take a reading at the bulbs the next time I'm in there to verify. I have the Hella H4 conversion units. I never realized that such a small drop in voltage decreased output so much. My mesh stone guards probably don't help my situation either.

At least the driving lights should be in good working order by the end of the week, if those don't blast the sun on the road I don't know what will :cool:

As you can see in the picture I've added a remote + battery lug near the fuse box (a BMW part) as well as a secondary accessory fuse box on the pedal box. Additional relays can be seen to the far right. I've done my best to not interrupt the factory wiring and keep everything as add-ons. I've also been conscious of keeping all the wiring to the driver side of the engine bay. Even the alternator harness is wrapped in high heat aero space wrap and remotely clamped along the coolant transfer tube under the intake manifolds.

Last edited:
Back