• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone here have experience with BR...

RR

Coilover Kit supplied by FCP? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-br-series-coilover-kit-740-940-zg-09br#description

I have Bilsteins on order from IPD and they are slow to come, then I ran across this kit.

Any thoughts on this kit vs stock springs and Bilsteins HD's? I am building up my '92 740 and have IPD sway bar kit already installed, plus engine enhancements and basically throwing everything I have into the 740, fwiw.

I would consider theories as well...

Thanks in advance, RR

The whole point of going to coil overs is that you can tune your suspension to better provide you with the handling, and ride that you are looking for.

Stock springs with bilstein HD shocks are a shock upgrade. Stock springs are comfort oriented and give up a lot of handling potential for a good ride and lots of suspension travel so you can fly over pot holes.

Really depends on what you want. The spring rates that come with those are not well matched to a RWD Volvo.

Are you comfortable with cutting and welding because you need to do that to install those coilovers.

There are other options on the market.

I've had BCs on my 940 for three years, including some trackdays. I ended up with it because I knew it came with the documents needed to pass inspection here and I got it for a decent price. It's far from the stock comfort, but I'd rate the comfort ok for a daily driver. Not too far from bilstein B8 and lowering springs.
The front requires welding, but otherwise it's nice and adjuting is easy (camber up to a certain point). The rear is not as good, the adjustment knob is up in the frame so yu have to drop the damper to adjust it. I had difficulties getting the rear set up so it wouldn't be bouncy and I know other who have had the same complaints. The stock street version is 5kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear, but there are other springs available as well. Unfotunately no softer springs for the rear AFAIK.
If you want a comfortable ride BC is not the best choice, for good streets and occational trackdays it's ok, but there are probably better ones.

Thanks for your input...

It appears my Bilsteins have shipped and am going that route.

Cheers

I've had BCs on my 940 for three years, including some trackdays. I ended up with it because I knew it came with the documents needed to pass inspection here and I got it for a decent price. It's far from the stock comfort, but I'd rate the comfort ok for a daily driver. Not too far from bilstein B8 and lowering springs.
The front requires welding, but otherwise it's nice and adjuting is easy (camber up to a certain point). The rear is not as good, the adjustment knob is up in the frame so yu have to drop the damper to adjust it. I had difficulties getting the rear set up so it wouldn't be bouncy and I know other who have had the same complaints. The stock street version is 5kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear, but there are other springs available as well. Unfotunately no softer springs for the rear AFAIK.
If you want a comfortable ride BC is not the best choice, for good streets and occational trackdays it's ok, but there are probably better ones.

i heard rumors that you can mount the rears "upsidedown" without an effect, so you can adjust them more easily

I'm a bit late and you got one reply from someone else who has them, but I also have had them on my 240 for about a year. The fronts weren't fun to install but like Acke mentioned they work pretty well. My kit came with 6k 6k springs. The rear for me was also extremely bouncy unless I set the dampeners above 25 clicks. I ended up having to remove one of the locking collars so the spring wasn't preloaded too much, and it's hard to get the car to sit without a pretty noticeable rake unless you remove the locking collars completely. It's fairly stiff, but is very tolerable if you don't mind a stiff ride. The rear design is pretty bad and overall I'm not terribly happy with it. It seemed like they never actually thoroughly tested these on cars before they started selling them. I don't hate them though, and would rate them a 7/10

How are they providing documents that will pass the TUV inspection stuff if its getting cut and welded into place by anyone?

They don't mention the welding, so it's kind of a workaround... I had mine done because I didn't trust my own welding in such a crucial place. Passed the technical and visual inspection with no problems. That said, I know at least one case where the inspection has been failed because of welding.

I've had BCs on my 940 for three years, including some trackdays.

I had difficulties getting the rear set up so it wouldn't be bouncy and I know other who have had the same complaints.

The stock street version is 5kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear

I'm on the same setup and having the same issues with bouncy rear.

This is the official BC guide on how to set up the divorced rear coilovers (spring separate from shock) but the suspension on the demo car is different and we can't really following these steps on a 940, not exactly at least.

https://youtu.be/BmraSIvT87Q

Any pointers on how to fight the rear bouncy bouncy? I'm desperate.

A friend solved this by re-valving the rear shocks. He's logic is that it's bouncy cause the shock can't handle the spring and there is no lower spring rate available. It actually solved it for him. But it's dang expensive where we are located.

I'm looking for a TB way to solve this one.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Also, in that official BC guide video I posted above, I don't understand a step.

Screenshot-2021-04-08-16-05-52-968-com-google-android-youtube.jpg

They say to align the shock bottom mount holes by threading the shock body in/out of the shock mount.

All nice and dandy but - what is the position of the shock piston at that time? Is it fully extended? Or fully compressed? Or anywhere specific in between? That affects the total shock length which is what this step is all about...

I assume that at that point it should be fully extended.
Is that right?

The rear spring rate BC offers is pretty goofy and better matched to a front spring that's about twice as stiff. No wonder folks are suffering from bouncy rear suspension.

They're cheap coilovers. If you just want a low car, that's fine. I'd be surprised if they worked better than a well sorted stock setup (new bushings, nice dampers, etc). Maybe the extra stiffness will "feel" better.

I don't get the impression there's much R&D into them.

Agreed. However, they are already on the car, and I don't want to give up without trying.
People manage to make it work. I'm wondering how.

Agreed. However, they are already on the car, and I don't want to give up without trying.
People manage to make it work. I'm wondering how.

It never works well. People just put up with them because the parts are cheap and they have low expectations.

The rear spring rate BC offers is pretty goofy and better matched to a front spring that's about twice as stiff. No wonder folks are suffering from bouncy rear suspension.

They're cheap coilovers. If you just want a low car, that's fine. I'd be surprised if they worked better than a well sorted stock setup (new bushings, nice dampers, etc). Maybe the extra stiffness will "feel" better.

I don't get the impression there's much R&D into them.

They don't have any R&D into them. They take their generic off-the-shelf stuff and slap it in a box.

For BC, it's a volume game. Quality isn't a consideration.

They have an extra caster edition.

3jbhVNJl.jpg

Can you swap back to a stock style spring?

Hmmm, that's an interesting though. Actually yes. Since the shock and spring are separate - I can, cut the stock spring to the height I want and try it. It may just work better with the BC shock than the BC spring does.

Back