• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Fuel gauge float

Drunk_Babies

Anyone ever drop the plastic float into the fuel tank while replacing the pump? :D

First question, is how can there possibly be enough room to get that entire assembly in/out without dropping the float...secondly, how would I go about fishing it out?

It does fit in there, have to keep rotating and trying slight angles.

I dropped a float once and managed to grab it before it went off to the side.

At least its the float, I dropped a filter sock in a tank and never saw it again. Maybe stir the fuel in the tank and wait for it to float by. Or drain the tank down till you can see in there better.

I've had the best luck retrieving that ball by running the tank low, the ball should be in the little swirl pot in the bottom of the tank that the pump sits in.

If it is an original float I would get it back, they are way better than aftermarket. If it's aftermarket leaving it in there doesn't hurt anything. Unless you need it.

Bend a wire coat hanger into a "doudle sided track" a little less wide than the ball with it hooked at one end. Kind of like a Jai Alai scooper thing Go fishing.

Lift ball out with "tool". Insert ball into holder. Angle assembly and rotate into position. Breathe a sigh of relief.

Button up job.

Drink a beverage of choice.

Back