• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 242 Turbo Restoration!

TheVolbro

The Collector
Hey all, thought it would be fun to document the restoration of my recently acquired 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo with factory intercooler and M46 transmission (thank you Joe for the car and thank you Roy for mediating the deal!)

It’s a ‘200-2’ Blue Metallic over black leather car. Could go for a full restoration but I’m planning to start with the mechanical side of things to get it running and driving properly before I start tackling the cosmetic work. Will update as I make progress.

Follow the progress on Instagram: http://instagram.com/thevolbro

Attachments

• B7079D48-9D67-4408-A0FD-98C3DB9B449F.jpg
    B7079D48-9D67-4408-A0FD-98C3DB9B449F.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 4E260A96-AC30-444B-881B-B2CCEBE470CD.jpg
    4E260A96-AC30-444B-881B-B2CCEBE470CD.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
First order of business…does anyone know what the amp amount should be for the original alternator on this car?

I’ve heard about the 100+ amp alternator upgrades if you’re planning to run additional electrical equipment such as electric cooling fan etc, but for now I’d like to get it to a good stage 0.

I’ve seen multiple Bosch alternators available that fit this car, just wondering what the correct one should be?

Suspension-wise, I’ve already got Lesjofors lowering springs and Koni adjustable sport shocks for all 4 corners on their way. Also going with IPD 25/25 front and rear sway bars and all their other heavy duty 240 suspension goodies.

First order of business?does anyone know what the amp amount should be for the original alternator on this car?

I?ve heard about the 100+ amp alternator upgrades if you?re planning to run additional electrical equipment such as electric cooling fan etc, but for now I?d like to get it to a good stage 0.

I?ve seen multiple Bosch alternators available that fit this car, just wondering what the correct one should be?

The book says it should have a 55 amp alternator.

The book says it should have a 55 amp alternator.

Wow, that?s lower than I expected. I called my local Volvo dealership and gave them the vin and they told me there were 9 different alternators this car could?ve came with? shopping on FCP Euro using the year/make/model there were two Bosch alternators that came up ? a 60 amp and an 80 amp. I suppose the 60 would be the one to get then? Or is the 80 a better one? It doesn?t hurt to have more amps right, you just don?t want less than required?

I upload to the IMGbb website on my phone. You can get BBcode links straight from the site and paste them into TB. Please do, I want to see more photos of that thing. I'd recommend a denso assuming it is a drop in replacement like on the 700/900. I know the mounting position is different on the 240s but it seems like if a Bosch will fit the Denso will fit even better since it is smaller.

I second the Denso upgrade recommendation. Have one on my 242 and one on my 245. You do need a 1985-on 240 series B230 alternator adjustment bracket, since the adjustment ear on the alternator is much thinner and sits farther forward than the B21/23 style.

I appreciate your guys’ input, I’ll probably go with a Denso alternator! When searching by application, only Bosch is coming up. Is there a go-to Denso model or part number for me to search? Also, is that adjustment bracket a part I can buy new online or a pick n pull find?

Probably quickest to just grab it off a car at the yard...

With respect to the alternator, yeah, get it from philski...

Well this is exciting…I picked up sponsorship from Do88! Going to be installing their all aluminum larger volume radiator and intercooler as well as their silicone intake and pressure hoses, radiator hoses, and heater hoses. Only the best quality for the induction and cooling system! :)

I?ve been hard at work the past week with this car. I have a tendency to all out when I do a repair/upgrade on my cars so I?ve gotten a little carried away?

So far it needed new front engine seals (which I had one hell of a time removing) so I took everything apart and broke/bent 3 trim picks trying to remove the seals without scoring the metal.
Because I was replacing oil seals I decided to do a full water pump/timing belt job. Got a Gates racing square tooth timing belt and new Hepu water pump, which needed new studs as well since the old ones were frozen to the old Hepu. I also replaced the timing belt tensioner and spring with genuine Volvo parts, and bench ground all the corrosion off the intermediate shaft gear and cam gear front and rear covers. Also going to be installing an STS adjustable timing gear which will soon be paired with an IPD turbo cam.
In part by my sponsorship from Do88, and me already invading the cooling system with the water pump, it will be getting silicone radiator and heater hoses, as well as an upgraded Do88 aluminum manual transmission radiator. Because I?m installing their nice big radiator, I figured I would also install their upgraded aluminum intercooler in the place of the original on my car, but save the original, and of course put their silicone intercooler hoses on as well.
Looking for a nice condition one piece plastic B21 4 bolt timing cover!
Also just replacing all the evap hoses and vacuum lines I come across with reinforced hose length I have in various side hose ids.

I was going to do the 100amp Denso alternator conversion but after taking some measurements on the mounting ears and hardware I found small differences in measurements compared to the stock Bosch amp and realized there is a piece I?m missing for the mounting adaptation, so I ordered a reman?d 55amp alternator to install instead since getting the car on the road ASAP is my priority. Grabbed some polyurethane bushings for the alternator brackets as well.

Got some NGK 6?s to replace the ancient spark plugs that were in it, a new Bosch dizzy cap and rotor, and some IPD performance wires because why not I?ve gone this far. The ignition coil is old as **** and I?d like to install a new one. I understand from some reading online that there is a resister of some sort in original 240 turbo coils that you need to bypass or do something with if you put a modern coil in.
Does anyone know a good ignition coil that is plug and play for a non modified 1984 242GLT electrical system? I?m talking a pull the original out and put the new one in and have no problems kind of coil. Anything of higher performance or quality is more ideal.

Attachments

• 162EA03D-EEA9-4C7E-B664-B62448CE2840.jpg
    162EA03D-EEA9-4C7E-B664-B62448CE2840.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 353
  • E62D5DAC-9075-4AE8-B902-80DC209D9233.jpg
    E62D5DAC-9075-4AE8-B902-80DC209D9233.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 414EC3A3-6043-467E-9F69-64E67C61716F.jpg
    414EC3A3-6043-467E-9F69-64E67C61716F.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
I finally figured out how to ad pictures. Finally I?ve been born into the 21st century real world :lol:

Attachments

• B92AEB23-F1D3-4FC3-9FFC-D5D14DBFE288.jpg
    B92AEB23-F1D3-4FC3-9FFC-D5D14DBFE288.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Looking great. For the Bosch to Denso if you get the whole shebang from Philski he normally includes the tensioner piece to make it happen. It's a bolt on affair pretty much. I have an 80a from him on my b21ft and it fits/works great.

How'd you manage to get the do88 sponsorship? Do they just require tagging them on social media or whatever?

Back