• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

old question but like advice on turbo choice

90volvo

Heres my setup
90 240 with AW71 trans stock converter
-ported head with bigger valves 8V
-klracing intake manifold
-treadstone ic
-3 inch ex. all the way
-1000cc injectors
-H beam rods
-
-Stage 3 RSI camshaft
-E85

-I had a header installed with gtx3076r turbo. Worked great but was pretty laggy on line
-I sold the turbo and plan to put 90plus manifold on it, spent alot of time porting it.
-want a turbo with little or no lag, converter is super tight. I dont want to pull trans.
-Want the car in the 12s,(400plus hp) confident I can run 20-25 boost w.o any issues.
-whats a big turbo that comes on quick? But pulls up top too. I know thats asking alot.
-Ive searched and not findiing much info. Just answer like twin scroll holesets or etc.
Options Ive thought about
1. T3/t4 ball bearing 57 trim in somewhre in that ball park They are pretty cheap, alot of option available for them.
2. GTX2971r - hard to find T/3 flange. not much info on redblock experience. Expensive 1000 plus
3.Evo X turbo- alot of fabbing-cant use 90 plus turbo manifold. But can us stock na namifold. Some what complicated fabbing.
4 Holeset - dont know if it would fit on manifold in a 240. pretty laggy but guessing. Can be bought pretty reasonable.
5. Build a up pipe for 90 manifold and run the holeset. The up pipe be more surface area to cause heat under the hood. Would require some fabbing.
6. TD06H-20g dont know much aobut these turbos.

-Does anybody have any advice or experience of what you thing would work best. We race alot in small town with stop light, probably less than 1/8 mile. that makes it tough on me time to catch up. Thanks for any input.

What’s your budget?

I didn’t know the converter was stock. You really need to consider upgrading the torque converter first before you do anything with a turbo. Even pushing all the boost I could get out of my car with the stock converter just couldn’t get off the line was super laggy.

The only way to wake the car up with the stock converter want to hit it with a 75 shot.

My recommendation would have been a 3076 and just get a new converter

Last edited:
What?s your budget?

I didn?t know the converter was stuck. You really need to consider upgrading the torque converter first before you do anything with a turbo. Even pushing all the boost I could get out of my car with the stock converter just couldn?t get off the line was super laggy.

The only way to waive the car up with the stock converter want to hit it with a 75 shot.

My recommendation would have been a 3076 and just get a new converter

-gotcha, was afraid that was the answer. I really dont want to do nitrous, I guess Ill break my back one more time. Now for next question, how big of stall? 3500? assuming I put 3076 back on.

It’s been a while but I think if you search for roadracerforlife’s or linuxman51’s posts they used something like a 3000 stall.

Personally I was never able to find a stock converter to stall higher than 2000-2200… no amount of launch control dropping spark would work either. The aw72 was rumored to have a slightly higher stall in terms of a stock converter.

Before you do turbo, try out the converter first.

I also think if you want to consistently run 12’s you’re looking at the wrong transmission. I would think a gm automatic would be better suited to the power required to shuffle the brick down the track repeatedly rather than yanking the aw out and back to swap out clutch packs. You’d be more likely to find a converter for less as well.

I also think if you want to consistently run 12?s you?re looking at the wrong transmission. I would think a gm automatic would be better suited to the power required to shuffle the brick down the track repeatedly rather than yanking the aw out and back to swap out clutch packs. You?d be more likely to find a converter for less as well.

-well I have an adapter and at one time had the converter adapter. Was gonna pull the trigger until I started calling around about a converter. Nobody could give me a solid answer and most said it would be trial and error but would probably take at least 3 shots at getting the stall right. Which I dont want to go down that road. Probably save up for level 10 trans or a T5. Even with Gm trans there is not a solid answer, 350 turbo are weak-400 turbo are heavy and rob alot power- 4160e are problematic- Powerglides are good but would kill take off. Its frustrating build a strong motor but no answer for a trans unless you go with T5 or CD009. Which I might just save up for one of them.
Sorry for ranting.

Understood…. I’ve had that rant before myself.

The only gm auto I like is the 2004r… seems to have the best gear ratios but is expensive to build. The 4l80 is huge.

Manual transmissions have their own issues. T5’s aren’t know for their strength…. Think tko500-600. Whatever you do get a steel flywheel… the cast junk volvos have is a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:
If pondering t5, look at tkx. Same footprint height and width but will handle more power. Only downside is that it uses the tko bellhousing bolt pattern. Unfortunately the price tag is 500 more than a new t5. But seeing the guts in person, I’d pay the man.

Understood?. I?ve had that rant before myself.

The only gm auto I like is the 2004r? seems to have the best gear ratios but is expensive to build. The 4l80 is huge.

Manual transmissions have their own issues. T5?s aren?t know for their strength?. Think tko500-600. Whatever you do get a steel flywheel? the cast junk volvos have is a ticking time bomb.

What or whos converter to you get? Do you have a part number? I have the money set back that I could buy the auto trans and conv. But holding out until I know for sure which one to go with and whos conv. Be nice find a conv. off the shelf that would work. But until then Im gonna detune my engine and limp the aw71 around.

I don't have a part number for the high stall aw71 converter... would have to call FTI.

If it were my money and I was going auto I would spring for a 4l80e with a microsquirt to control it or manualize it. https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/gears/2015/2015-03/2015_3_32.pdf

I would call a converter manufacturer like Huges, FTI, etc. and get their recommendations on what would work best for your specific ride. My guess is something in the 2800-3500 range.

The 4l80e has the OD which will let you drive the car at highway speeds without revving to 4000rpm even though the OD gear isn't stellar.

The 4l60e/700r4 variants are troublesome. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=351465 plus any number of f-body forums. http://www.jakesperformance.com/4l80/

If I were to go manual I would spring for a tko 600 or a t56.... but again, an actual steel flywheel is mandatory. The stock flywheel will eat your feet when it explodes... just don't **** with it. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=206983

None of what I'm throwing out there is cheap but if you want something that will last, unfortunately you have to pay to play.

There are other manual transmissions like the cd009 (I have no personal experience with) and the tremec tr3650 which can be built (Hanlon).

As always, YMMV.

Mike

EDIT... I was where you are two years ago.... I want to try to get a few runs in on the aw71 (it's slipping now) this summer after it gets re-ringed. In my case, because the car will be drag only, it will be th400 all the way.... don't forget btw, whatever you do with the trans, don't forget the driveshaft... nice time to upgrade to 1330 or bigger depending on your clearance.

Last edited:
Back