• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

Alright, nothing like putting a weekend's worth of work off for 3 months (been too busy honestly).

washed the car and yanked the trans this weekend (also replaced the brake lines in the back, need to do a full flush and bleed now).
took the 400 apart, nothing overly crazy. spirolock on the direct drum was broken, and that allowed the sprag race to float around a bit (but not off). some light surface scarring where the piece floated around, but that was about it.

had some initial bad thoughts when the last little bit of oil drained out of the transmission and it was shiny... but after looking at the clutch packs it seems it was just some of the initial clutch dust (the gm high energy clutches have what looks like metal flakes in em). the steels all looked brand new and I mean *brand new*, so there was no sign of anything slipping. the gears in the planetaries all felt nice and tight, I actually expected there to be some damage back there, but I reckon not. All in all, pretty anti-climactic.

Still gonna give it the beans I reckon, or maybe jump to a glide (cost/benefit/etc), I want a clean neutral, a drum that won't explode, trans brake, and a dump valve setup. will probably upgrade the driveshaft this time around as well, the theme of this year is likely to be safety focused with some power fun along the way I reckon. as the shop comes together, so too shall work commence on the replacement shell, I've started to settle in on the stuff, generally for me that's the hardest part.

Small updates, hopefully more in the near future. We're beyond slammed at work (so many meetings.. whew), and then I can't catch a break from the local LS folks. Going to have to enforce some hard limits and/or raise prices again (or... just stop doing it.. tempting actually...), but it's kinda nice to cover the hobby costs without touching the ol paycheck(which instead seems to be going to the rentals :/). Of course, not having hardly any time left over to play with my own **** limits expenditures as well. May ride it a little longer until the other guy gets his dyno, and then pull back.

UPDATES though. ok, 400 is more or less ok, but I haven't put it back together yet, and the reason why is, drumroll please..... I've been tripping over the new transmission for about 3 months now (well, sort of)
171757796.jpg

it's practically a project by itself, as it sits, it's said to be good for around 1500.
Cliffs:
300m shafts (in and out)
rollerized output shaft (billet mark williams yoke)
straight cut 1.80 gear set
8 clutch direct
bte full manual trans brake vb
reverse-apply band (apply pushes on the ends of the band instead of the middle)
some sort of bespoke filter setup that won't suck air regardless of how hard the car launches.

pretty neat setup, more than I would've jumped into if I'd rolled it myself, but it's good to have good friends. I believe this was originally slated to go in the chi-town hustler, but Tom's buddies have several really fast pro-mod-esque cars, so there's no telling honestly.

the input shaft is a turboshaft, so I get to keep my current converter. depending on how it all acts once it's in the car, I'll also look into a dump valve or the ubiquitous spool-shot to get it up on the converter/launch limiter faster. not a high priority right this second though.

Off the top of my head, I'll also have to address the driveshaft, trailing arms, and some other odds and ends in the rear suspension, lest they all fold up on the first test hit. Depending on what DSS says, I'll be going to a single piece, or something with a cv in the middle. while I haven't had any issues with the modified stocker, I think the extra abuse that's on the near horizon will change that, and I just don't like breaking those sorts of things.

so, now that the chicken coop is finished and tom's truck trans has been rebuilt, I'm going to roll the gold car back in the shop and put it up on the lift until this thing is in and at least sort-of set up.

it may be in soon, but I've gotta get a driveshaft made for the new setup, that'll be one of the holdups

Will you have this in before I have the microsquirt wired on Kents old car?

lol. turns out I won't even have the 400 back in the car in that amount of time.

the longer this sits, the more likely it is to not go back together at all-bear with me here- with the recent shop cleanup and decluttering that's been going on it has provided an impetus to getting the powertrain swapped into the new shell.. for a number of reasons, most of which are related to the gold car honestly being a big pile of **** from the word go. I think if you'd asked me in 2011 where this would be, I'da said it'd be in a totally different chassis long before now, and esp since I bought the other green wagon for this purpose.

I may get a wild hair and toss it back together for a little bit (if it'll behave) when the initial work starts on the green wagon-tentatively slated for this fall, we'll see- so I can give it a few more rips, but my project backlog is getting to be as impressive as it is long, and I need to start making some headway.

I will likely start looking at some of the items in the backlog and consider divesting myself of them as well, but you know how that is... it's just a bunch of old volvo junk lol

173273297.jpg

engine's out for the last time (of this car), going to drop the fuel system (about 10 minutes there), pop the ms3pro and harness out along with the wideband, and pull the shifter setup. at that point the shell will get rolled into the proverbial weeds after a little bit of cleanup and rat-proofing takes place (need a working cat or two for the shop).

anyway, the turbo and all that will come off the engine, I'll double check some things to make sure I don't have any issues lurking, and it'll get swapped into the 242 with one of the other intake manifolds:

173273298.jpg

leaning towards the NIW one, but reckon we'll see. as far as 8v intake manifold testing goes, I may still sneak that in on the blue car prior to engine removal if I can get the cable to work

fuel system is out, bout to have the shifter out, ms has been unmounted (og ms3pro), bout to be in a spot where I can roll it back out and fix the exhaust on bpu. probably won't have the harness out right away, may just source replacement unterminated harnesses for it and get back around to that part later.

dunno. leaning towards something else. I do have time to consider it, so that's good. lots of other work to be done

is the klracing intake manifold worth it? does it make more power then the b230 manifold?
haven't tested it on an 8v, would like to believe it is (it would be very hard to believe it's not, how about that).. this summer I might get time to try it out on the black wagon if I can get it running as it should be.

Back