• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Middle Ground Suspension

OldCarNewTricks

Hello,

At some point soon, I will be replacing all the bushings on my Volvo 242. I live in Oregon, in an area that has plenty of potholes and cracked roads. I would like to have a fun but not to the point of shaking myself to death on these roads sort of suspension.

I have old Bilstein HD shocks on the rear that seem to be just fine, and stock springs. The front sway is an 18mm, the rear is 19mm. I have Virgos wrapped in 205/60r15.

The front struts are worn, and should be replaced, I think. I have the upper and lower chassis braces to go on, as well.

I am wondering what suspension set up would get me to that goal?

23mm Turbo front bar, billies, and IDK what to do for strut bearings anymore.

OG Volvo used to be good but at $100 a pop TBers wimped out, bought the 15A plates and lived with the whipped out originals.

:e-shrug:

23mm Turbo front bar, billies, and IDK what to do for strut bearings anymore.

OG Volvo used to be good but at $100 a pop TBers wimped out, bought the 15A plates and lived with the whipped out originals.

Basically this. 15a plates and new strut mounts, or BNE Select top mounts.
Fresh rubber in the axle, torque rods, and rear front control arm. Leave everything else alone because it's probably just fine.

My last DD 240 was setup like that, and I'm kicking myself for getting rid of it. The new DD is full IPD suspension and it's not nearly as good for 90% of the driving I do.

Sweet! I forgot to mention I do have 15A plates to install, as well. My strut mounts are cracked and really need replacement. I was going to do aftermarket with the plates and call it good.

Would Bilstein HD be a good setup for the front to match the rear (as opposed to the B4 struts). I don't find the rears to be super harsh anymore, but with how destroyed all the rubber is back there, it's hard to tell.

Is the best way to find a 23mm bar to post a wanted ad?

Thank you

I like stock HDs in the front, if you have an ABS car they can be a pain/compromise to install.

I'd just keep the stock bars on for now, and then add a bigger bar up front if you think you still need it after all the bushing and strut changes.

Lower crossmember supports and a strut bar are probably going to yield better handling and performance than a larger front bar.

Is the best way to find a 23mm bar to post a wanted ad?

Thank you

Carl might have one unless he sent it away to the crusher.

i-LwdQQGH-M.jpg

I like stock HDs in the front, if you have an ABS car they can be a pain/compromise to install.

I'd just keep the stock bars on for now, and then add a bigger bar up front if you think you still need it after all the bushing and strut changes.

Lower crossmember supports and a strut bar are probably going to yield better handling and performance than a larger front bar.

Okay, B6 HD struts will be what I go with. My car is an 83, so no ABS to deal with here!

My front sway bushings are destroyed, or perhaps too large. I would probably be fine with some bushings for now, but I'm not sure where to find 18mm replacement bushings.

Carl might have one unless he sent it away to the crusher.

That car has been picked clean by the vultures, and the man himself :lol:

He trolled everyone with that "euro" grill though, I wonder how many people went to go pull it only to realize how TB'd it was.

That car has been picked clean by the vultures, and the man himself :lol:

He trolled everyone with that "euro" grill though, I wonder how many people went to go pull it only to realize how TB'd it was.

Bet none of you buzzards would even give him JY price for a stock sway bar so he should still have it.

I've put far more money towards this 242 than it probably deserves, but it's more than "just a car" to me! I'm doing my best to "refurbish" it before driving it often. :nod:

Yes, I measured it with my digital caliper multiple times as I was very confused. Many parts of this car have been swapped over time, as it was originally an M46, 1030 axle car, and was swapped over to AW71, 1031 axle later on. I wouldn't be surprised if some other parts moved in from another car.

I'll check once again before ordering bushings, thank you for the links!!

The 23/21 Turbo bars make for a nice handling daily driver. Also, a set of the GT spec front springs. Supposedly you can still buy those aftermarket new. Do not use any poly bushings. You will regret it.

The 23/21 Turbo bars make for a nice handling daily driver. Also, a set of the GT spec front springs. Supposedly you can still buy those aftermarket new. Do not use any poly bushings. You will regret it.

That setup sounds spectacular. I started a wanted thread, fingers crossed. I'll take a look around for those GT springs. As for poly bushings, I've decided against using them on this car, although my Camaro has full poly all around. I may actually undo some of the front end poly stuff on my Camaro.

The FCOEuro 1229337 springs were about 14.2mm when I measured mine. I've been using a set on the front of my wagon for over 200k miles. They work great and provide a firm controlled ride that is still comfortable.

Back