• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I "braze" my exhaust? (2008 bot bump)

your parents have a welder?

just get out there and try it, using a mig is like drawing with a crayon it's easy to do a mediocre job, the worst thing you'll do is burn holes and make a big warty thing.

just try it, you'll find it's easy enough to get by with, and if you do it in your b-day suit you won't get any tan lines :) - just be sure to wear eye protection and don't touch it when it's hot ... you know common sense ....

Well I went to home depot today...

It is $50 for the Mapp gas and oxy kit, plus the rods of brazing stuff, plus flux, plus the little cloth you use to clean stuff, plus another few tanks of each, and it seems everyone here was right... I just need to use a welder:lol:

I guess I'll wait it out until my parents come up and get the welder then :nod:
It would also be nice to fashion a way to *mount* the exhaust to the car...

Well I went to home depot today...

It is $50 for the Mapp gas and oxy kit, plus the rods of brazing stuff, plus flux, plus the little cloth you use to clean stuff, plus another few tanks of each, and it seems everyone here was right... I just need to use a welder:lol:

I guess I'll wait it out until my parents come up and get the welder then :nod:
It would also be nice to fashion a way to *mount* the exhaust to the car...

Go ahead and learn how to braze though, it's a great skill to have. Repair your own radiators etc.
Get a book called Welder's Handbook.

Regards, Andrew.

I've tried to braze steel stuff together with just a MAPP torch.. doesn't work too well.. ended up using oxy/acetylene. Oxy/MAPP will probably be alright.
As was mentioned above, brazing is awesome if you have slip joints, because you get a huge surface area holding the parts together. It's extremely strong.

Yes you CAN braze exhaust tubing. I've done it for years. First thing you must do is get rid of the thin "ALUMINIZED" coating on the ends to be brazed. Either grind back 1/4"
to bare metal or dip the ends in hot lye solution for a few minutes which dissolves the aluminum. Rinse of course. Make sure you have a good fitting joint. Use flux or flux-coated rod. This also works on rusty pipe. I've also use thin-wall EMT tubing which is galvanized outside and brazes very well. The exhaust temp. will never exceed the melting point of the braze; if it does, you've got bigger problems elsewhere. --Chalman

Brazing exhaust pipe

Yes you CAN braze exhaust tubing. I've done it for years. First thing you must do is get rid of the thin "ALUMINIZED" coating on the ends to be brazed. Either grind back 1/4"
to bare metal or dip the ends in hot lye solution for a few minutes which dissolves the aluminum. Rinse of course. Make sure you have a good fitting joint. Use flux or flux-coated rod. This also works on rusty pipe. I've also use thin-wall EMT tubing which is galvanized outside and brazes very well. The exhaust temp. will never exceed the melting point of the braze; if it does, you've got bigger problems elsewhere. --Chalman

Brazing has been done providing the steel pipe joints are slip fit. Not sure about aluminized steel and or stainless pipe.

Can I bronze my cat?

Ancient Egyptian metallurgists can confirm this.

bronze-egyptian-cat-bastet-statue-8131l-800x800.jpg

Apologies it's not 640x480. Darn phone world.

Back