• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whos renting valve shim kit>

fastcomet

Im estimating 3.15-3.20 mm shims. Head has had a valve job and the new cam base circle is .015 bigger. Ive searched IPD web site but could not find the kit. Id be willing to buy a set if possible too. Anyways thanks for the help.

What a coinkie-dink. I literally just emailed IPD yesterday about this. They said they no longer offer the kit. I'm also looking to do this to both of my 240's in the near future.

Just take measurements and order the specific shims you need.

But then that involves the car being down for a week or so. Obviously if that's the only option then there isn't much of a choice but it'd be a lot more convenient to just get a kit.

Just take measurements and order the specific shims you need.

I have measured and Im coming up with 3.15-3.18mm shims, which Ive searched for that size and have not found anything. With my thinnest shim I dont have any lash. Im thinking about sending head back to machine shop. I believe they did a valve job and did not take anything off of the valve stem. Its been a head ache with them, they lost the camshaft caps and insisted I didnt have them on the head. But after a bunch of back and forth they came up with them.

But then that involves the car being down for a week or so. Obviously if that's the only option then there isn't much of a choice but it'd be a lot more convenient to just get a kit.[/QUOT

I noticed that kgtrimning sells a kit but man probably take 2-3weeks to get it.

I have measured and Im coming up with 3.15-3.18mm shims, which Ive searched for that size and have not found anything. With my thinnest shim I dont have any lash. Im thinking about sending head back to machine shop. I believe they did a valve job and did not take anything off of the valve stem. Its been a head ache with them, they lost the camshaft caps and insisted I didnt have them on the head. But after a bunch of back and forth they came up with them.

Silly question, but did they install the valve hushers? This would throw off your measurements.

Sounds like best option is to take the head and new cam to (maybe another machine shop?) and have them tip the valves to set the lash.

I have the shim kit but a long way from you!

Silly question, but did they install the valve hushers? This would throw off your measurements.

Sounds like best option is to take the head and new cam to (maybe another machine shop?) and have them tip the valves to set the lash.

My guess is either measuring with hushers or the machine shop sank the valves into the head and didn't tip the valves and set the stem heights correctly.

The tips of the valve stems should be ~25.75-26mm down from the valve cover surface (cam centerline) for a stock base circle camshaft.

I have the shim kit but a long way from you!

:uh:

That's what the post office is for!

One thing to look out for, when going with thinner shims an aggressive cam lobe can actually hit the edge of the bucket. This can only happen when the shim is thinner than the outer lip height on the bucket (around 2.8mm I think)

While most volvo parts suppliers do not sell shims this thin, you can definitely buy them... but be aware of the issue.

I have a shim kit available to rent. The standard kit only comes with 25 sizes, 3.3mm-4.5mm and 4 of each size. I filled out the standard kit (34 sizes) with 5 of each size but there's only one size smaller than standard. Smaller and larger shims are available but need to be ordered.

I also include installation tools, lash caps and OE hushers (aftermarket ones don't last very long) with the shim kit and a free solid cam gear dowel pin with the kit rental. Because of the large number of shims and the tools I need a sizable deposit to rent to kit.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/ShimKit&Tools.jpg
ShimKit&Tools.jpg

I have a shim kit available to rent. The standard kit only comes with 25 sizes, 3.3mm-4.5mm and 4 of each size... Because of the large number of shims and the tools I need a sizable deposit to rent to kit.

I'm waiting for everyone to complain about a $500+ deposit on the shim kit. All those $4 shims add up really quick when it's basically $20 per size/square in the box plus nearly unobtanium tools.

I'm waiting for everyone to complain about a $500+ deposit on the shim kit. All those $4 shims add up really quick when it's basically $20 per size/square in the box plus nearly unobtanium tools.

Not to mention ~$50 to ship it both ways with insurance.

Back