• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1995 volvo 960 ignition key sticking

850 uses the same lock cylinder. The steering wheel lock may be issue. You can get at it after removing the lock cylinder and the ignition switch. BTDT on my 88 765.

Also, what do you mean by sticking?
As in it doesn't go into the lock at all or it goes in but won't turn the lock?

Eeuro fcp Skandix etc no stock
Discontinued
I thought maybe the 850 would fit, as it was listed on one site. Now that I look back, that info was wrong.

I suppose the wafers that allow the key to open the door on the cylinder are really the only problem. The local lock smith could potentially use the 850 parts. But, they are not new. Also, I would sort of be curious if anyone has done this.
Classic Volvo built me some shocks last year. Wonder if they need to ramp up production here. I had this problem on my K block 88 760 with 600,000km on it. I drilled out the tumblers and used a screw driver until I bought a used cylinder and key, so I sort of know what’s involved though that was back in 96

I have good motorbike chain oil, or bicycle TriFlow which is good. I am pretty sure the plastic wafers are toast and nothing other than new is gonna make me happy. Well, a screw driver might because I live in a very remote area where most do not lock their cars or homes.

I installed 91 740 door locks, including key, in my 88 765 front doors. I have to use 2 keys but I can more easily get copies of the door key made.

Well that is very interesting Sir Lummert.
Was it difficult, or simple please?
Kind Regards
Jim

The 740 door locks were easy to install after I figured out that I had to remove the glass to get past the security panels in the doors. The plastic panels prevented access to the door locks. With the glass removed was able to see down into the doors to remove the panels and get them reinstalled.

Working with the steering wheel lock and the lock cylinder is easy if the key will turn the lock cylinder. I had to drill out the lock cylinder. The shiny ring on the lock cylinder is hardened steel and is not easy to work with. The ignition lock cylinder with new keys from a 98 S90 fit my 88 765.

Back