• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Water cooled turbo with no water

Right, I've joined the two coolant hoses together using an old sawn off bit of 13c water pipe. My oil feed pipe should be back by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. I'm trusting you guys on this- I'll take all neccesary precautions, of course, but if it gets too hot and blows I shall be seriously pissed off and having a whip round for a rebuild! :grrr: :-P

My garrett is watercooled but since the threads on the center section are messed up I have been running it without water cooling. I haven't had any problems. Just give it more time to cool down like the others said.

ovlov760 said:
My garrett is watercooled but since the threads on the center section are messed up I have been running it without water cooling. I haven't had any problems. Just give it more time to cool down like the others said.
I've always been very careful about that. The last minute or so of road to my house is taken just above tickover in second gear, plus a little bit of manouvering to get into the drive.

Also, I still don't know what boost I'll be running as I've taken the MBC off and preloaded the -31 actuator. Will be 20psi soon enough, but then I'll have it water cooled anyway. The whole thing should be sorted within a week or two regardless, so I'll be fully water cooled again.

my 244ti was leaking coolant (had to top it up AT LEAST once a day) and I was having trouble tracking it down, the coolant lines to the turbo BOTH cracked where they go into the turbo. I just looped the hoses with the busted piece of one of the lines, because I was at the side of the road and had nothing else available. Never leaked a drop after that, and the turbo still works just fine.

I was suspicious because Mitsubishi never sold a TD04 without water cooling (that I know of).

I'm sorry to bump old **** but yes they do make a TD04 without water cooling. It came in the Greddy Turbo Kit for Mazda Miatas. I'm actually looking for a water cooled turbo to replace mine because I'm pretty lazy sometimes and don't want to bother with letting the turbo cool down. If one of you with a water cooled center wants to swap for a TD04-15G without, I'd be more than happy!

Email me at firedog93551@gmail.com if interested.

I'm in Palmdale, California just an FYI.

:rofl:

If that's not a bot reply, you're better off posting in wanted than bumping a 15 year old thread.

Scrolling through and seeing some of those usernames and avatars is a trip down memory lane, minus being on 56k dial-up internet.

Back