• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Trans Mount damaged frame?

QisofrKuin

Hello everyone,

I just bought a my first Volvo, a 1981 244 dl. She's in good condition overall (though I expect I will be scouring this forum regularly) but I have one question that is, I think, unfortunately somewhat unique. My transmission mount has been knocked back (perhaps by a speedbump) and seems to have torn out some of the frame along with it.
51244225398_cf76b3d112_m.jpg
This condition is the case on both sides of the mount. My question is basically what is this gonna take to fix? Is this something I need to just swallow and take to a shop or is this a manageable fix for a inexperienced home mechanic?

Thanks all.

Unless you are a very good welder that is not something you are going to be able to take care of yourself. The frame rails are going to need to be capped with the threaded nuts already attached to the back side of the cap/reinforcement.

As Dr. Who said... "That's bad. That's extremely very not good."

ripped.jpg

My first thought was to "fix" it enough that it wouldn't immediately fall off by using a trailer hitch style reinforcing plate (just much bigger) slipped inside the frame rail, with a bolt fished through from above...

RHK_1000.jpg

curt-manufacturing-class-iv-trailer-hitch-square-tube-14-17-all-3.jpg

... but I don't know if there's a convenient place to get a decent sized plate into the rail.

ripped-floor.jpg

Having it professionally welded back together is likely the best, and safest way to "properly" fix it, despite being completely not "TB-Approved".

Obviously I'm late to the game here. My thoughts are that any reinforcement you put in still has to be held up by that damaged frame rail. I would also consider replacing the trans and engine rubber mounts just in case they have been damaged or over stressed by movement of the drive train.

1981 242 DL purchased in 1986 with 90k.

This is pretty easy to fix if you have a welder.
Make a nut plate, drill out the weld nuts in the chassis rails, weld nut plate to the bottom of the chassis rail.

Back