• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 B21ft to B230ft: gut check / what do I need from the donor?

yorkadam

I have a Volvo 245 GLT with some nasty noises coming from the motor. Attempting to be proactive I looked around at the cost to finding or refreshing a B21ft but it seems to be more economical to buy a wrecked car and swap in a b230ft.

Gut check: Am I over simplifying this motor swap?

My m46 transmission, clutch, driveshaft, etc - are fine. So I should just need forward of the flywheel: ecu/harness, engine, mounts, intake, etc (things just under the hood) - am I missing anything like the cooling system or intercooler? fuel pumps? That will help drive my choice on what donor I choose...

I'm aware of the automatic b230ft needing to pull the bushing and replace w/ a throw out bearing. Pretty sure I've read the flywheels are compatible between b21ft and b230ft...

Any notes on personal experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on the engine year and your install choices you may need to go to the newer flywheel in order to support LH2.4 engine management. LH 2.4 uses a crank position sensor and notched flywheel to determine crank position rather than the Hall sensor distributor like 2.2 does.

I believe you'd also have to cut a notch in the bell housing so the sensor can see the flywheel but I've never done it so not sure on the details.

I believe you'd also have to cut a notch in the bell housing so the sensor can see the flywheel but I've never done it so not sure on the details.

Did any m46's come on b230ft's? I'm not the original owner of this car... BUT when I look at the bell housing I see a sensor w/ the lead cut on the exhaust side of the block, near the b21ft coolant drain. It appears to be the hall-effect sensor you described. If this is the case it'll at least save me having to modify the bell housing. I'll snap a picture just to double check.

What year and engine control system are on both cars? If your B21FT is lh2.2, you can just swap the distributor into the B230 and not worry about the flywheel.

1983 K-jet 'fun'.

Last edited:
Yes, you could get an M46 with a B230FT.

The sensor you're seeing is for the factory timing tool. It's not the same as the LH 2.4 crank sensor.

Yes, you could get an M46 with a B230FT.

The sensor you're seeing is for the factory timing tool. It's not the same as the LH 2.4 crank sensor.

Okay - yes when I look at images of the b230ft sensor I see it now.

So will an auto trans b230ft come w/ this bracket/sensor on the block? I assume it has all the locating holes already and I just have to notch the bell housing to clearance?

Yes, the CPS sensor and bracket is the same for auto and manual. You will need the LH2.4 flywheel, with the 60-2 hole pattern around the edge. See below link for what I needed to do to convert a B21FT from K-Jet to LH2.4:
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6141359&postcount=81

If you're going to keep your T3 turbo, you'll need custom oil feed/return lines. You'll want to keep the newer 90+ exhaust manifold. The final turbo exhaust flange location may move just slightly (maybe 1/2"), and you'll need to add an O2 sensor bung to your exhaust.

-Bob

If it's an LH 2.4 B230FT then it will have the sensor and bracket.

Depending on the year of your trans it may already be set up for the sensor but may not have been machined.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Oik7qKQt1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Data points are pretty far and few between so I figured I'd ask...

What's a good price to spend on a transplant motor, ecu, harness etc?

I managed to find someone locally w/ a B23ft in a 760. 170k mi. No turbo. Still need to go do a compression test on it to see if it's even worth the effort. The alternative route is there's a complete 91' wagon for sale near me ($2k ish) that's someone cast off project. Runs, but was sitting for 7+ years and has a rough idle. 160k on it.

By the newest B230FT you can. They got much better with the LH2.4 in 1990. So I'd look for that. You can use the flywheel from an LH2.4 240 so it's not to hard to find. A good price is $500 for a running car.

Back