• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My el es juan drift wagon

vwtechnician

My LS1 drift wagon

Figured I'm way late on putting a build thread up for this car as its already seen 7k miles and 9 drift events since finished back in June but hey, better late than never. Some videos of me drifitng it, mostly poorly but hey, gotta start somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLcQxXq76qyij400IzUaBsg

A little background on this particular car. It's an 83 wagon that I purchased for $700 in 08 or 09. Towed a jet ski to FL and back with it, been to western NC, NYC, NJ, basically all over the east coast with it. Great for hauling the dogs and whatever else around. A few years back, after poo pooing it for years as figure skating for cars a buddy talked me into coming to a drift event and I brought my e30 and had the time of my life. I knew instantly I needed to build a car. I figured the Volvo was a worthy candidate. :) Much of this work was done over the winter of 14, the prep work anyways, with the installation portions having happened in the spring.

About as it was when I got it

Some junkyard replacement of rusty panels, a drop and some DRS's later. This is about where it was when taken apart.

Stripped down and getting some engine bay love. Hours and hours of sanding and wire wheels, lots of primer, followed by lots of olive drab, finished with matte wheel clearcoat. Rattlecan special, as you'll see pretty is not part of this car's theme. ;-)

And some of the goodies for the car.

Last edited:
Car has 3 inch wheel studs all around, rear quarters stretched with inners cut out, shortened coilovers with Konis, adjustable panhard bar and torque rods, ball joint drops. Crossmember for the engine was from a mostly failed group buy here, while it took forever to get and needed modifying to fit the motor mounts properly, seems to have worked out well. Some more pics.

Volvos really are like big legos. Pedal lengthened, chopped of the ear for the cable, added a lever for the master and bolted up a 740 master.

Some views of the transmission fitment and the driveshaft.

Engine bay wiring all finished. Battery is in passenger's rear just behind the rear seat. I tore down and cut out all the unnecessary crap out of the wiring harness, ran the couple new ones needed and taped it up with fancy VW cloth harness tape. Of course, I managed to remember the 1 solitary blue wire from the PCM to the fan relay AFTER finishing taping the side to the relay. :grrr:

Getting the cooling system and intake together

And here's the rear quarter panels pulled and some of the rear suspension.

The instrument panel I made. Tried with plexiglass 3 or 4 times, kept managing to crack it while doing finishing touches so I gave up and grabbed a sheet of aluminum instead.

Shots from when I first drove it home back in June, it was incredibly loud right at that point, no cats, no mufflers. We used the factory exhaust manifolds with the triangle flanges chopped off. 2.5 inch pipe just to get it past the frame rail then they both transition to 3 inch (V bands at transition) and dump under the transmission crossmember :D. Later we added 3 inch glass packs and down turned tips in front of the rear axle. 10 months down time (5 or 6 spent waiting for the engine crossmember with no real progress) and waaaay too much money spent but it was worth it.

Did the first two events without Ben's adjustable control arms, completely different car with them. Went from wrestling a dirty whore to a sublime machine instantly. Some pics of the completed exhaust, too. It's what I like to call mandrel pie cut, no bends :-P

20140729_184837.jpg

20140729_184832.jpg

20140729_192417.jpg

20140729_172245.jpg

20140729_172235.jpg

20140729_172228.jpg

Where in VA are you? I visit there frequently and need to see this.

Dude, sweetness. I vaguely remember the driveway pics; glad to know the full story behind the car now. :clap:

Evidently you guys don't seem to like to stitch-weld...I usually recommend that when using 20-30 year old shells and adding 2x more HP and torque than the brand new shell was intended for..
Why no stitch weld?

Evidently you guys don't seem to like to stitch-weld...I usually recommend that when using 20-30 year old shells and adding 2x more HP and torque than the brand new shell was intended for..
Why no stitch weld?

He needs a cage too. I think those type of things might happen on similar time line.

Back