• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 The key turns, there lights come on, but it doesn't crank the starter?

EivlEvo

Hey all. Been a minute mostly because we've been bloody moving since about a week after MikeP came and picked up one of my spare fiats, so... 4 months? FFS.

Anyway. Made it to Wisconsin. All the cars made it, though my car shipper ended up tearing the side exhaust off the 240, but if that was the worst thing, I'm happy.

I digress. The 240 (93) is having a strange intermittent no crank thing. Key goes in. Turn to start, lights all dim and sometimes the starter will fire, sometimes not. I haven't tested much because full time dad duty (stupid covid), but also I thought I recalled some 240s having strange ignition switch issues?

Confirm/deny?

Hope everyone is well!

Automatic trans starter interlock? Maybe try shifting it to neutral and see if that cranks it.

Yeah it's an auto converted to t5. I ripped the damn wires out of the floor yesterday when I was dead in the water at the gas pump but they were still good. Had to pop the clutch to start the dang thing.

If lights are dimming, usually rules out ignition, not enough current to engage starter most likely, check battery terminals, starter terminals, ground from block to battery. if all good, make sure battery is putting out enough juice to crank

I just had to replace my starter for an intermittent issue last year. It wouldn't crank the car when hot. So you drive somewhere and then it won't start. I would bang on the solenoid with my breaker bar. That would make it crank again. Did that for about three weeks until I got to the starter replacement.

I just had to replace my starter for an intermittent issue last year. It wouldn't crank the car when hot. So you drive somewhere and then it won't start. I would bang on the solenoid with my breaker bar. That would make it crank again. Did that for about three weeks until I got to the starter replacement.

Late small starter on the 93 no doubt?

Back