• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Ball joints difference power steering / non power steering

Deutscher

Hello,
does anybody know whats the difference of the Ball joints on 240's with power steering / without power steering?

I have a 75' 244 with a manual steering rack and want to mount the struts of a earlier car which had power steering.

Now i dont know which Ball joints fit / i should buy. The ones for cars with PS are aviable in better quality....

anybody can help?

thanks,

Simon

Moin Simon, nimm die mit Servolenkung.
Die zeigen schr?g nach vorne und dadurch hat die Vorderachse mehr Nachlauf. Ist auch bei der Variante ohne Servo besser. Minimal schwerer zu lenken, aber wenn Du das wirklich merkst....

75 244, whow

Viel Spa?, Kay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

You could use either type.

The manual steering ball joints are the same on both sides.

The power steering ball joints are offset to move the spindle forward for additional caster. This will make the steering heavier, so they were only used with power steering.

If you put power steering ball joints on the wrong side (angled backwards) they will reduce caster and make the steering feel lighter.

I don't think that manual steering effort on 240s is very heavy, so I would use the power steering ball joints (I've driven a manual rack before on my '87 DL, it had power steering ball joints for sure).

Just make sure if you use p.s. Ball joints make sure they end up on the rite sides, they don't self center very well and are twitchy at highway speed of they are on backwards

Last edited:
I use a manual rack with power steering ball joints on my turbo. It has great on center feel and isn't that heavy except on very slow tight turning. Then you need some effort. I've used it this way for several years. However, I am going back to power steering in the near future because the turns ratio lock to lock is crappy with the manual rack.

Back