• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Heater Blower Wheel

OldCarNewTricks

Hello,

Does anyone know if the blower wheel on the 240's is plastic? My 1983 242 sat for quite a while and when I went to test the blower, it was really noisy and screechy. It also threw a piece of black plastic out the vents. I already have a new Siemens motor on the way. I am thinking maybe the wheel is a bit brittle, and I wanted to buy one before I start tearing everything apart. Anyone know where one can be bought?

Thanks!

Yes, the blower wheels are plastic that can get brittle with age. When the motor wears the bearings let the shaft move sideways which causes the wheels to hit the housing. They make an awful screech when that happens. The blower wheels are still available new as of last year. I bought them and they were less than $30 each from Volvo. You'll probably have to wait for them to come in from Sweden but Volvo won't charge you extra for shipping.

Okay, that's probably what happened then. Can anyone confirm the P/N 3522198 or P/N 3522197 is correct? eEuroparts says these are only for 1990-93 models... And the only difference is color of plastic between those two part numbers, I think. Seems Volvo's website doesn't list them as in stock, so I may just buy it from this eEuroparts site, since they do have them. Thanks!

I find that the 3522197 is superceded by 686541 still available on volvo parts web store. But the 3522198 comes up without a price. I couldn't find either part available on gcp.se so neither part may actually be available. But more stuff is available to the Europeans than us here in the US. So, try Skandix or CVI Automotive and see what they can get for you.

I'd try to get new ones if possible. More than once I've had those things stick on the motor and I had to destroy it to get it off the motor. Back then I got new ones.

Skandix lists the 3522198 as the current product. But that's 101 Eur. Which is like $122, yikes! So after more searching, I found that a Volvo dealer on Ebay has the 3522197 for about $37. Might just buy that one and hope it works for me.

A couple of weeks ago I was checking on fan wheels and only one side was available from GCP for ~$100. It appears as though Skandix bought it as they show 1 in stock and GCP now shows it's NLA. VP lists both of them under the old number for ~$20 but they're not in stock and they may not be able to get them.

FYI, the fan wheels are handed. Like most handed Volvo parts with consecutive part numbers, the lower number is the left side.

If you really want a new pair of fan wheels buy the dealer heater fan motor kit. It comes with new fan wheels.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-blower-motor-9131943?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D

240HeaterFanKit_9131943.jpg

Last edited:
Voluparts.com has each side used for $20. And they include a 90 day warranty. That miiight be the best deal at this point.

If the fans didn't break being pulled off, you're usually set. I reused my fans with the vdo motor and resistor (less than $50 total) been good for over a year: no noise, nice balance. Maybe get a better resistor, it was kinda flimsy. After doing the heater core once, I'm not afraid to get back in there if anything does go wrong, but no signs that'll be the case.

Hows the quality of it? If it's good, it's worth the price if you don't have to revisit for another 20 years.

I can't comment on the quality of the fan motor since none of my customers has been willing to pay that much for one yet (that pic came from GCP). The motor does have the tube for the wires that none of the aftermarket ones accommodate so it's definitely not the same VDO or MTC motor that's commonly available.

The black plastic bit the fan threw out may be from the side housing.

It's probably a piece of the crumbling defroster duct. I've found pencils/pens that fell down the ducts rubbing the fan blades also.

There are definitely two different versions of the impellers. 90-93 and everything else up through 1989. The 90-93 version has a flat molded into the bore of the impeller that seats on the flat of the motor shaft. The earlier motors and impellers do not have that feature. It is just the spring clip and friction that keep the impeller turning with the shaft.

Back